CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Can-Am 450...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can-Am 450...

all good points and totally agreeable. im betting on the extensive use of aluminum and a twin from them though. they just came out with a 500twin; i dont think its a coincidence - seems like since that is 50cc away it could be modded 'down' to a 450 -- and incorparate that design as a base into some modular concept for both bikes to keep costs down?? i love to see a 450 that has some more torque low and can rev maybe not up to 10-11k but enough to rip.

and most of their stuff is FI, correct? so that's almost a given plus with suzuki, kawasaki and im sure the 2008 yfz, trx will follow soon...i agree FI will be standard issue on these bikes as it is in the mid-higher end ute market as well. isnt it kinda funny- more utes are FI than sport models right now!

reverse is nice but not required however i agree that its more appealing to the masses if offered.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.
Default Can-Am 450...

how about this guys, this is from brp reps. IT IS A 450 300- 350 lbs, injected they are undecided whether for production it will be 5 or 6 speed but is to be the most technologically advanced atv EVER built., and is faster than the renegade.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default Can-Am 450...

i hope a 6-speed, ive always liked them better. i think they'll do that route b/c no one else has it and they can add it to their I CAN slogan- out run- out climb, 'out shift!' i can am! seriously i think its a better choice than a 5 speed.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Range Rover
Default Can-Am 450...

I hope it has reverse like the new Kfx450.

Any news on when Can-Am is going to release info.?

Old 10-05-2006, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Default Can-Am 450...

I want a bike that's in the ball park weight wise with the other 450s.
I want a bike that handles like the other 450s.
I want a bike that has similar suspension to the best 450 in the class, I'd be happy if it was the best.
I want a motor that is slightly faster stock than the next fastest 450 modified. So far as I know, that would be the Yamaha. So if it is a v-twin 450, I'd like it to be 60-65 hp.

Can-Am seems willing to step outside the boundary and raise the bar on Utility quad Hp then why not on a sport quad. Honda and Ducati 1000cc v-twins can put out 150hp. Smaller engines seem to have a little hp advantage with mass and burn characteristics so with a milder piston and cam setup, 60-65 hp shouldn't be a stretch on a 450!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can-Am 450...

While I think a twin would be cool, that is going to add a lot of cost on for anyone looking to internally modify that motor, so keep it a single. I doubt you would ever see a v-twin, those engines are just to heavy for mx by comparison, and this will have to be competitive there for ultimate success. Reverse, comfy seat, premium tires are all on my list. bberck is my hero for suggesting suspension that can be adjusted to be plusher for trail riding. Maybe just incorporating some double rated springs...

Old 10-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Can-Am 450...

Originally posted by: BBR650
how about this guys, this is from brp reps. IT IS A 450 300- 350 lbs, injected they are undecided whether for production it will be 5 or 6 speed but is to be the most technologically advanced atv EVER built., and is faster than the renegade.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default Can-Am 450...

Originally posted by: DuneMe
I'ld sacrafice weight for more power.
No way! Less weight is what sets 450-class machines apart. Light and nimble is where it's at and only the 450 class has it. Lead-sleds are a dime a dozen. Besides, Can-Am already has a decent machine in the lead-sled category, the DS650.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:19 PM
TPR
The Champ
Default Can-Am 450...

After reading more about the Aprilla V-Twin 450, I uncovered a couple of things. First, the motor itself cost about 5% more to build than a 450 single. They did not give out specific weight for the motor but the bike's overall weight is 35 lbs heavier than the heaviest of the big 5, (Suz, Kaw, Yam, Hon, KTM) so that could be some added motor weight and structural weight. They did say that the motor had a low cg, which made helped the handling of the motorcycle.
Now the power was estimated at 60 HP in MX trim which is real good, but we know that this get's changed when you apply it to a quad. So figure in the power loss and then potential gain with intake and exhaust work.

What most don't understand is that while compact for a V-twin, the motor/tranny is takes up nearly the same overall space as a DS 650, which may cause packaging concerns.

The other aspect that I read was that the SX and MX series has outlawed multicylinder engines in the 450 class. If this were to spill over to the ATVA and WPSA events, the v-twin would be out of the question.

Remember, Can-Am/BRP has, we assume, been working on a 450 class quad for some time now. (Most estimates are that it takes about 3-4 years to bring one to market, closer to 4 if you are building a motor from the ground up.

Take that for what it's worth, but I think that given the landscape of the 450 market, it will be like their MX cousins...you could nearly interchange plastics from year to year and notice only subtle differences. They may get a little more power here, a little more travel there, and a couple of lbs off on that, but once this and the proposed KTM/Polaris 450 hits, it will then be a game of refinement,

10 years from now, you will probably see a 325lb 450 that easily makes 65hp in stock trim.

Now DS lovers may hate this, but I like this thought....replace the DS, with a lighter DS with the Aprilla 550 version of the same V-Twin...now we are talking!!! It makes 70HP in stock trim, and has a power delivery that would be ideal in the environments most people use the DS in, desert and dunes. You could keep the dimensions of the DS similar....maybe a hair smaller and much lighter....then Can-Am can soak up all those Yamaha guys with the Banshee hangover.

I have heard nothing of the above statement, that is my fanciful speculation, but that 550 then could go head to head with the 525 Outlaw and 700 Rappy and make more power than both!!! Bring it in at 400 lbs....game over!!

TPR

Old 10-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can-Am 450...

Originally posted by: DuneMe
If you're going to take business from the Big Boys (Honda, Yamaha, Suz. and now Kawi) you better be faster and offer more features that the others don't OR separate yourself from the others for some reason. .
This is very true, the big 4 Jap brands have a lot of loyalty. And if another company wants to be a big contender in sales, they have to be different to get attention like DuneMe said.

Quick Reply: Can-Am 450...