CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lectron 48 mystery? Any one had this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lectron 48 mystery? Any one had this happen?

Hey FGR, Was the reason for taking yours apart the same as mine? Sticking issues? Just curious. It was pretty dirty inside. Im wondering if its the fuel im running or something else. The bike is jetted pretty close to perfect. I was surprised to see the galling on the inside of the carb slot. Its on the sides where the slide notch fits in and the idle screw is located. It almost looks like bit chatter from when it was machined. It was on both sides. I didnt completely sand them out I just smoothed it out with some 800 grit. I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said that theres a guy near here that does teflon powdercoating I guess the coating is super thin. They do pistons and whatnot. Im wondering if having the slide done would help or not. Anyone heard of this. Choose said they could be anodised but teflon sounds even better.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 PM
FGR
Trailblazer

Basically the same issues. I could just tell there was a lot of dirt in there and it was so hard to get to I figured what the he!! I'll just take it apart. The "chatter" your talking about is just machining marks from the endmill they used to make it I think. I left them alone (there were some rough edges I cleaned up though) and just polished up the slide. When I say polished, that's what I mean. I used the buffing wheel.

I too thought at first that the crap on the slide and in the grooves might be from the fuel I was using but came to find out it's cable lube that just worked it's way down from the cable. It sits there, gets old and gummy, and collects dirt.

Teflon? Maybe. But how will it hold up to gasoline?

Let us know what you decide to do.

PS If you want a throttle that REALLY DOES feel like stock, install TWO lectrons. Man I LOVE THESE THINGS!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (see my pictures). Zero sticking, even while engine braking. Only problem I have now is finding an exhaust that will work with them. Can't use the ugly stick for trail riding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] and my CT exhaust hits one of the bowls[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Nice carb setup! I would have thought that the throttle pull would be twice as stiff. I didnt even think about the cable lube getting down in there. Makes sense though. Im not siure about the teflon holding up to the fuel. I would think it would beause they coat pistons with it. Maybe someone else will chime in here about it.

Very soon I will be tearing this bike down and going a different direction. Otherwise I would go to a dual carb setup.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:08 PM
amd
Pro Rider

I would say the teflon would work just fine, as long as the person doing it knows what they are doing. When I put my Lectron on it had just a little sticking, but no bad at all, not even really enough to worry about but I went ahead and did what FGR did and polished the slide. Started with 800 then went to 1200 and polished it on a buffer. I then cleaned it real well and I didnt have a sticking problem at all and It was quite a bit smoother. I have been thinking about trying to get a roller wheel setup in the slide like the fcr's do. Then you wouldnt have to clean it so much. I will say it is nice not spilling fuel everywhere when you need to change the tune. I really think the lectrons are a very nice and easy carb. I dont think I will ever go any other route except injecting it.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Update, I finally got a chance to ride it since cleaning it all up and polishing the slide. I went over to Albany to make some passes on the track. I did miserably by the way. Dirt tracks are a whole other game. I still had alot of fun and it was good to see everyone again, Anyway, After about three passes it starts sticking again. Im pretty frustrated with it. Now it wants to stick wide open all the time. Richen the needle up...no effect. Finally I thought that maybe it could in fact be the fuel. I dumped out the VP C-14 and put in a bit of K&S 110 (cheap race fuel) literaly with in about a minute no more sticking. Im guess that the c-14 is really dry. This really sucks because the bike was running awsome on it and I was alot more confident spraying on it. Tuning was near perfect. With this other fuel it didnt run all that great and I didnt want to mess with it. So now what are my options fuel wise. Is there anything out there similar to C-14.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

hears my story about the 48 last month at pismo the bike screamed like a sow in heat, this last weekend at pismo the bike would cut out at full throttal in second and 3rd gear thats with a hard accelerations, under an easy acceleration theres no cutting out in 2nd or third wide open, help

Old 10-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Scott, Start from the top and check the tank filters make sure your getting enough fuel to it. Check your float level and make sure the power jets dont have anything in them. Also look at your tank vent line make sure its not pinched somwhere. Could also be an ignition problem maybe. switch out your cdi with one off your other bike and see if thats it.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:37 PM
FGR
Trailblazer

Don't forget to pull the plugs and have a looky.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Keith, could you add a little top end lube to the C-14 so you can keep running it? I used to add just an ounce of Marvel mystery oil for top lube in my 4 cycle open kart engines when running methanol for the very same reason and it worked like a champ for me.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Randy, Sorry you couldnt make it sat. we had a blast even though I ran like crap.

I never thought of top end lube, How much would I want to put in per gallon. I dont want to give up on this fuel quite yet. It awsome fuel.

Quick Reply: Lectron 48 mystery? Any one had this happen?