CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

AIR FILTER HELP PLEASE RESPONSE

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I NEED HELP,I WANT TO PUT A K&N AIR FILTER ON MY DS,I WANT TO PUT IT DIRECTLY ON MY STOCK CARB(taking off the airbox and everything else of course)IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I HAVE TO DO ,LIKE ON THE CARB OR SOMETHING AND NOT SPEND TO MUCH MONEY,PARTS UP HERE ARE PRETTY EXPENSIVE

THANKS

Old 12-06-2000, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Directly to your carb? WHat about dust and dirt and that clogging your filter? I dont think i'd reccomend putting it directly to your carb anytime.

Old 12-06-2000, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

THE K&N FILTER IS THE BEST FILTER ON THE MARKET RIGHT NOW,THE EXPERTS SAY THAT IN DRY CONDITION THERE IS NO PROBLEM BUT IT IS NOT RECOMENDED TO DO THAT IN WET CONDITION

Old 12-06-2000, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You will NEED the dynojet kit for the DS650 - around $60, www.dynojet.com. The filter should be K&N SN-2550 ($45 max) and the pre-charger should be SN-2550PK ($19 max), www.knpowersports.com. When you do this, the best thing to do would be to cap off the vacuum line that goes to the airbox.

Old 12-06-2000, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

I am running a K&N directly to my stock carb and I love it! Big power improvement if you do it right.
First thing you need to do is determine the environment you will be riding in, very wet or very dusty may be a bit risky as very fine particulates may penetrate the K&N. One thing you should have is a prefilter or precharger sock around the K&N filter, this is fine enough to keep most water out but has little or no affect on air flow. You will be flowing a considerable increase of air thru you engine which will lean you out and you'll be constantly overheating and will be running underpowered unless you compensate and increase you main jet and jet needle settings. In my case the increase in air flow dictated a change in main jet from a 165 to a 190 (approx. 15% more fuel flow) a significant boost in hp. It has arm pulling power now. IF you do not have a higer flowing exhaust system than stock you are not going to get as much benefit, if you are trying to do this on a budget a pingry exaust tip might work ( about $80)The K&N #SN2550 and prefilter ($60)and I would strongly recommend the Dynojet kit ($60)the jet kit contains an assortment of main jets from 165-200, but more importantly it has a new jet needle that works much better than the stocker. All instructions included for set up at any altitude. So for around $200 bucks you'll see a huge difference in performance and if you have more to spend get a full exhaust system and the new CDI rev box from Graydon, it revs to 9300 RPM's and you won't be taking a chance on floating your valves. you don't have to spend a ton to get real power improvements you can feel.
If you live where it gets cold and you have to choke start it, I would put a small air filter on the vent tube that runs into the snorkel from the carb in the stock set up. It pulls air thru this vent at start up and if you plug it up it may be difficult to start.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default AIR FILTER HELP PLEASE RESPONSE

hello i was going through the posts and saw your post on the ds ai filter setup.. i have a 03 ds racer with a kn filter in the airbox , can i get any gains by going directly to the carb?? my buddy told me that the filter will rub into the seat bottom ,,if you could give me some extra info i would really appreciate it thanx randy