CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why so slow

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so slow

i keep replying to myself on this forum but i keep making new discoveries. I opened the air filter box to find the airfilter was not even connected to the giant hose that goes to the engine. It was just sitting in the box completely disconnected. Does that mean i've been sucking dirty air into my engine? On the filter it says bombardier 2000 so does that mean its the stock one that came with the bike or just a replacement of the original. Either way it spotless, it didn't have any dirt or dust in it. And for my last trail riding i was third or three people and it was dusty as hell. I dont know enough quads but that cant be good....... right?

Old 10-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

Man i couldnt amagine thats a good thing.I would have dealer do all the mantenace and anything else they could do.Whatever it will cost itll be worth it if they do the jetting,oil change,check compression,change oil filter ect.My(stock) 2005 dsx will run and somtimes pass yfz' and 450r's.So it should be up to par in speed with any STOCK quad you can run with it.That also includes good rider abilitie and quad condition.So it definily sound like something is wrong.Most of the guys will steer you in the wright direction.And some guyz already mentioned the sprocket also.I bought a 14 sprocket to give me that extra wheelie poppin power.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

Originally posted by: IL0VELAMP
ok i checked the gearing, right now there is a 16 front and 38 rear on it, when i bought it, it came with a spare set that is 18 front 40 rear. Also i'm not sure when the last time its been maintained like oil tranny fluid air filter that kind of stuff. What should i look for to see if it needs that. Would that kind of stuff make a big difference?
You are close to stock but I would put the 40 back on the rear. Feel what stock should be then you will know where you want to go.

The air filter is one of the first things you should have checked.... that needs to be cleaned at least every couple rides. If it was off you were running VERY lean... maybe to the point of damaging the machine (your probably OK but you should realize how important that is) next to the oil level, the intake must be set up correctly. The air filter should really be on your pre ride checklist so to speak... especially on a machine new to you. Oil and intake should always be something you watching for. Take a little extra time to go over the machine... it will save you a lot of $$$$.

Oil and tranny fluid are the same system... also the clutch uses the same oiling system. CHECK YOUR OIL OFTEN... before every ride really, or at least until you know your machince well enough to know when you need to change or check.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

Wow, lots of info coming in and it is great to finally get some answers, Thanks everyone for putting me on the right path. i completely removed the carb and found the inside to be pretty dirty. Any suggestions on how to clean it properly? Also i did check the oil before i went out and it was good. i didn't know the oil, clutch and tranny ran off the same system. that makes things easier. I also get a little leak out of the top of the tranny where the clutch connects not much but after a day of riding it gets pretty big.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

For a cleaner carb you need carb cleaner... LOL... no seriously go to the auto parts store and get a couple cans of carb cleaner, and use them liberally. Get all the dust and dirt off of there, and maybe even pull the thing apart since you have it out already. Take the float bowl off, pull out the jets and clean them too. While you are in there check the jet sizes... they are engraved in the jets really small, but let us know hat you have in there right now. Also take the cover off the needle (round cover on top) and have a look at that to make sure its all set up right... sometimes the little spring will pop the top off... (if you don't know what I'm talking about once you take it apart you will). Replace all screws with allen head stainlless, and be careful when you take them out they are really soft and will strip VERY easily. Make sure the screw driver you use is the correct size... there is one size fit in the screw head almost perfectly, but I don't know what size that is. Also I would look into a K&N or similar hi performance filter, they are easier to clean than stock, and last damn near forever. For the oil leak you may have to pull the clutch cover... I believe there is a seal in there that can be replaced. I wouldn't worry about that so much though... make sure she's runnin' right and deal with that later.... just make sure your oil is always at the right level. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

Alright, cool got the carb coming apart and cleaning her up. Do you think i should consider doing any cleaning to the inside of the engine? You know since all that dirt got in there? I'll order a k&N filter and check the jetting, i'll get back to you guys when i get it all apart.....thanks again

Old 10-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

How long did you ride with the air filter off, how dirty was the inside of your airbox, and did you have the lid on or off?

Thats a tough one there man... if you did get anything inside there you deffinetly don't want to run it at all, the down side is you would have to pull the head, and buy a new head gasket to make sure there is nothing in there... it may be worth the $60 head gasket and the time. That one will have to be your call.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

ok i started to take apart the carb but ran into a problem. those screws you talked about, there are 4 of them holding a piece of the carb on marked mikuni and they will not come off and they are now stripped. i checked them out and found the best screwdriver and applied plenty of downward pressure but they would not budge. I'm guessing thats where the jetting needles are hidden? That and when i removed the plastic thing with a giand needle running down the center, there a little 1/2 inch tear in the thin rubber bowl. it that bad? i seem to be having a good share of problems.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why so slow

Sound like you diaphram is ripped... you deffinetly need a new one... that is your needle though.

The screws on the bottom are tough but what you have to do is get out your dremel tool or something similar and grind off the heads of the screws. I had to do that and I know others have also... its pretty easy.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Why so slow

ok i'll get out the dremel, when you say that is your needle, do you mean that is the jetting needle or are those under that little box i'm trying to get at. i didn't see any markings on the needle you said to look for a number like 165 right?

Quick Reply: Why so slow