CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

sprocket what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sprocket what?

I dont think you can get a full kit from RM. Sidewinder has a full conversion kit but its spendy. If ya got the scratch go for it. The ti-moly sprockets are nearly indestructable. My bike will eat an aluminum sprocket in two rides. If your swingarm is stock 110 will do it. At 160 lbs I would go to the stock gearing 16- 40 for good all round performance if your wanting some more out of the hole grunt drop a tooth on the front to 15. 14 40 will be way to short unless your pullin the bottom out of ditches. If I was you I would get both a 15 and a 16 and try them both. You will be surprised at the difference.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default sprocket what?

so i shgould get like a sttel or titainium sprocket? aluminum is soft i know and i think rm has all the stuff they got 520 chains in 110 and 520 sprockets all sizes.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default sprocket what?

The front will be steel. The rear will probably be from aluminum. With a basically a piped and jetted bike aluminum will be fine. Steel would last longer. The idea is to lighten your rotating mass to get more power to the tires. I dont know of anyone making rear 520 steels except Sidewinder. If RM has them get them there. I wasnt aware that they had conversion kits. Been awhile since I did mine. Must be new. How much are they asking?

Old 10-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default sprocket what?

no you were right they dont make 520 sprockets bomb. i dont like the idea of going to three seperate places for three things. if i were to just but on a 15/40 with the 530 chain i have now i know it would be less powerfull than the 520 but how much are we talking? i want more power but i'm not building this bike to race. You know what i mean right. Is it worth the extra time and money to convert if i'm just going to go trail riding with my buddies? i mean granted i want more power but will the gear change from my now 16/38 to a 15/40 be enough?

Old 10-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default sprocket what?

On-dunes has the sprockets. Rocky mountain will have the chain. Get the highest tensile strength. 14-40 gearing is too low, you'll lose performance. I've seen it first hand, you feel like you're going faster cause its quicker through the gears but its slower in a drag race.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default sprocket what?

All of the companies I listed are reputable and they work perfectly together. Ive converted a couple now with great success. In your case if you are simply looking to get it to run like it should I would simply get a 40 tooth rear and a 16 front that is the stock gearing. At your weight and your machine running right there is no reason I can see that you would be getting it handed to you on a regular basis. Reading your other post, you have some other issues to deal with also to get it back to where it should be. I run would run it down as follows

1. Clean carb replace diaphram if torn make sure float is correct.
2. Set float level correctly and replace bowl screws (5mm)
3. With T-4 pipe I would put in a 175 main jet needle in the middle slot
4. Be sure all carb and filter connections are tight and air box lid on (for now)
5. Check valve clearances. ( not hard to do) Call and I will walk you through it.
6. Change oil, filter and plugs. Check screen in oil tank and clean.
7. Replace sprocket to 16 40 use your current chain if in good shape buy extra 15 front ( I may have the sprockets you need I'll check)
8. Go beat the crap out of that 400ex and save us some face[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Note: The Ron Woods CDI is good but it doesnt have a rev limiter which means you can put the RPM's through the roof possibly damaging your engine. Just use with caution. You should be shifting around 7000 rpm to stay on top of the power curve. Getting above that the engine goes down in power. Im sure if I missed something someone will chime in. It just sounds to me like you need to tune it up fully. my .02

Old 10-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default sprocket what?

The 520 chain and sprocket conversion is worth the effort .The 520 gained me at least a quad lengths performance and that is huge for the low cost involved.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default sprocket what?

Hey Mike, Im tryin to convince him. Some people just arnt as hardcore as you and I [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

You get your clutch back together? Were going to be over there this coming weekend. Possible I will have a little somethin up my sleeve you might want to see[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default sprocket what?

Alright guys, thanks for the help. I'm gonna try to see what money i have to put everything together. If i have som spare cash i'll do the conversion if not then i'll just put on the stock 40 and a 15. in the mean time i have a lot to do to get her going once again. Ohhh by the way after i took apart my carb i found two spring that i dont know where they go one is about an inch maybe inch and half long with a diameter of about 3/8 of an inch the other is small like 1/2 inch long and maybe 3/16 in diameter. i think they go in the float bowl but where? any ideas

Old 10-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default sprocket what?

I went on on-dunes website and found a mikuni small round main jet for $3.99 thats a lot cheaper than the other jet kits. Is this what i need?

Quick Reply: sprocket what?