CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What is the max rpms on DS650

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the max rpms on DS650

just because it will rev to ?ever dosent mean thats where the max hp and torque is at. i saw a pic of a stock 1 on the dyno and it was in between 55k-6k then started to drop off, yes it did rev higher, but for what reason?means u could help it with some mods.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

The only reason to rev higher with a stock motor is to get a higher top speed without loosing take off by getting that top speed with a bigger sprocket...what i mean is...only other option for top speed is a larger front sprocket which takes away bottom...if you increase your rev limiter you still have the same take off as you did before but you can get into the 80mphs now.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

The only problem with shifting sooner in the RPM range is if your spinning which was a problem when Bombs came with the Dominators stock. Those things would spin on just about any surface. You shift early and lug the motor because of so much wheel spin. I have a tach and also cams and I shift around 7000. It does make a difference and you will see rookies on the drag strip rev the quad to the moon. I can also tell you with stock springs be careful with those CDIs with no limit. Ever see a couple of little smiley faces on top of a piston. Its really not a happy thing

Old 10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

thats what i have been saying, all you have to do is look at the dyno chart for a stock unit.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

yea, definatley add racing valve springs

Old 10-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrMeaner
The only problem with shifting sooner in the RPM range is if your spinning which was a problem when Bombs came with the Dominators stock. Those things would spin on just about any surface. You shift early and lug the motor because of so much wheel spin. I have a tach and also cams and I shift around 7000. It does make a difference and you will see rookies on the drag strip rev the quad to the moon. I can also tell you with stock springs be careful with those CDIs with no limit. Ever see a couple of little smiley faces on top of a piston. Its really not a happy thing
Well, I have to give credit where credit is due......This post covers it. Good info Meaner.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

i second that NUT! GOOD JOB MEANER.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

Hello Ron, so your saying that with a stock motor you wait till you are almost 1k past your powerband before you shift.come on,no wonder i beat my biddies ds so bad, i guess they were just spinning their wheels.funny.thats why they make diff types of tires.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maxxedouty
Hello Ron, so your saying that with a stock motor you wait till you are almost 1k past your powerband before you shift.come on,no wonder i beat my biddies ds so bad, i guess they were just spinning their wheels.funny.thats why they make diff types of tires.
lol, hi Gene.... the stock cams peak then drop off fairly quickly. You do need to overrev just a bit to keep from dropping your rpm too far onto the front side of the torque curve. 1k rpm might be a little much i guess [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I agree with Misdemeaner though about the spinning tires. You just can't get traction the way these things make torque and you can be fooled into shifting too early when spinning, then the tires grab when you shift and rpms go in the tank. Slows you down alot!

Old 10-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Gotta get rid of the wheel spin

Quick Reply: What is the max rpms on DS650