CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What gains will i see?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gains will i see?

Now 11.5:1 compression/going to 14:1.Now stock clutch with stronger springs/going to HPR drag clutch.Now Big Gun CDI/going to Vortex CDI.I will also be taking off at least 20 lbs from my DS before i hit the hill again.Yes i could just wait and see but opinions never hurt and someone may have made the same changes that can give their opinion and besides i am bored and i want something to read.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe i need to be more specific with my question.Will the changes i am going to make soon gain me 2 or 3 quad lengths in 300 feet?I am just curious where i will stand with some bikes that i regularly run on the hill.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

in 300' ?

yes 2-3 bikes.

up the hill? more yet.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Since you are already up to 11.5:1, I would say you will see 1 - 2 average hp and torque. The biggest advantage will be found in how much quicker the motor spins up. That I think will be noticable. If you could find your way to lightening your flywheel at this stage, coupled with your other new mods you will have a totally different animal.

Expect a sharper exhaust note also[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

When are you planning to hit the dunes again, Mike? I am going to Boxcar next weekend then hitting every good weekend I find after that.

Ron

Old 11-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Ron i am hoping for at least a few quad lengths gain from the changes i will make and as you have seen that would put me right in there with some very fast company.I may talk to Chuck at CG about lightening my flywheel when i take my Baja to him for my motor work.My next purchase will be a light drag axle that will hold up to the kind of duning i do and i am researching that right now.It will probably be at least a few weeks before i can get out on the sand again but with the changes i am making it should be worth the wait.I am expecting that my Vortex with its custom programs that Randall set me up with will also be a big help with performance.A couple of the maps that i have go as high as 9300 RPM and that should be interesting to try with my new 14:1 piston!!!!

Old 11-06-2006, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Duneittilludie, I would guess that the changes you are talking about would only gain around a half bikes length in 300'. I hope it's more but it sounds like you already have some decent components on your machine. 2 bikes lengths is an awfully big leap.
Have I run into you at the dunes? I was on a stock older DS about 2 months ago in Florence at the wall and ran against a pretty fast Baja with a long swingarm. I didn't really get to talk to the owner and he was letting someone else ride the Baja. Sound familiar

Old 11-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mystereid - Have we run into eachother out there?

Old 11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Range Rover

Mike

Let me know when you get that beast together, I want to take her for a run up the big ol hill. Make sure you bring that radar gun, I think that will tell you some of the gains.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

mystereid were you there with another DS?If so then i may remember that day.I believe that DSNUT(Ron) was on my Baja that day because my back was too messed up to make any serious runs.As far as my gains i am not getting just any 14:1 piston and in fact i will be getting the first "new design"14:1 that HPR has.This piston is the same as the 14:1 that did so well at Albany a while back on a stock bore DS and DSNUT knows the potential that particular piston has to help performance.I may be wrong but i am fully expecting to gain at least 2 lengths from the piston ,clutch and Vortex CDI.My Big Gun CDI was not allowing my cams to build power in the top end as the Vortex will with its much higher rev limit and that alone should be a big difference.I will soon find out.Tony any time you want to take my stock bore up the hill just let me know.I believe that you could out run some pretty fast bikes on my DS.My Radar gun will be very useful in determining just how much faster i am able to go up the hill.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I was with a friend with another DS, so yes I met both of you briefly. Ron, I raced you or at least followed you up the hill a couple of times. Cool, now I know two more forum members.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Mike, your bike's no slouch already and I'm just thinking of the law of diminishing returns. A two bike length leap usually comes with a bottle and a button or losing 100lbs.
Whatever happens I want to hear about it. I just bought a J.E. 11.5 piston and am anxious to try it out.

Quick Reply: What gains will i see?