CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Pros and Cons of Copper Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of Copper Gaskets

Was wondering?? Im seeing them used on more and more 2 strokes and used on 4 strokes.
Here is what I got so far:
<FONT size=2>
As compression and horsepower increases under turbocharged and supercharged applications, head gaskets can become weak and fail. Standard head gaskets are usually made of layers of material such as steel, carbon, and asbestos. A seal is made when the cylinder head is torqued down and the head gasket is squished.
Copper head gaskets are solid and always keep their shape. Even under extreme compression, copper head gaskets will maintain their integrity. Since copper head gaskets do not squish during the cylinder head torquing, they can be reused over and over again. As long as they are properly installed, they will last the life of your vehicle.
The only real problem that can occur with copper head gaskets are leaks. Before installation, the engine block surface and cylinder head must both be milled perfectly flat. Since copper head gaskets do not squish to create a seal, any imperfections can result in a leakage of oil, coolant, or air. Proper preparation will add considerably to the cost of this upgrade.
Although locating a direct fit copper head gasket may be difficult, most shops and companies that offer them for other engines are usually willing to work with custom applications.

Pros: Virtually indestructible, reusable.
Cons: Improper preparation during installation can cause problems.

I havent read where anyone uses the copper gasketing Sealent yet either, again, just reading up. </FONT>

Old 11-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

LIke I said just reading, and watchen the kids Copper Rubber gaskets Now I like the ideal of this, but not the added cost of O rings .

Wow this was also good !!!! Copper Gaskets

Old 11-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If the copper gasket doesn't squish at all, why not just skip the gasket and torque the head right down to the cylinder?

I just raised your compression a whole point for free! lol

Same result.........unless it does squish a little..........

Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Here is where it gets really tricky......Copper does squish...It doesnt burn like the stock stuff......BUT the best gaskets out right now for really big power adders in cars and for ALOT of compression are the MLS gaskets....MLS...Multi Layer Steel...They are the stuff...Basically they are reusable and they DONT BLOW! I wont even run them because they scare me.....Honestly if you do have a failure with a part or a bad nitrous tune, you need a weak point before you destroy hard parts....Basically if the head gasket dont blow, something has to happen.....in comes hole in piston or lifted ring land or even worse melted piston or bent rod. Detonation hurts things...if the gasket dont blow...something will take the abuse.....SO what do you do?....Personal preference.

I know alot of guys who use stock style gaskets and spray them a few times with copper spray. I also know some texas 1/8th mile racers that use yamabond on their head gaskets. Believe it or not, it is a semi drying silicon...So under alot of cylinder pressure ( 3 or 4 stages of sauce) it will actually let the cylinder head lift a little off the deck and keep the seal. Crazy huh.....

Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

Been running Three Bond 1104 on the cases and 1211 for head gaskets aand base gaskets for years on my 2 strokes, its a pain in the fanny pack to clean after gasket removal but it has works great. All the gaskets were of paper base

Old 11-14-2006, 12:13 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

http://www.engine-builder.com/ar/eb100632.htm

Additional Info

Pliobond Sold at Ace Harware $2.99 a tube
If you need the added assurance of a good bond.

OMR