CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Quench Head

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quench Head

Originally posted by: OMR
DSNUT,
Since my surgury I have not been mentally all together, better as each day passes. Sorry if I gave the perception that I was upset with HRP. My relationship with HPR is actually good, I have only needed to buy a few parts and they have helped me out.
About 1 1/2 years ago when HPR started to get the recognition for their motors, they became mostly the builder for race only applications. They have their day jobs and have to limit their time to race motors only. It is just good business sense. They are doing the best they can with the time they have available.
I actually didn't think you were upset with anyone. The only concern I had was that if you wanted to talk with them about it, they probably wouldn't see your question on this forum. I didn't want you to think they were ignoring you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I know what you are saying about not being mentally all there after surgery, lol. I had 7.5 hrs of reconstructive surgery back in '01. I was still suffering from the effects of anesthesia 2 WEEKS after the surgery! Not only that but i was on Percaset (Sp?). I thought i was on my game but my wife said she had to watch me like a hawk because my decision making was close to that of a 5 year old, lmao.

Anyway, I hope your recovery is complete and quick!

Ron [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

Originally posted by: OMR
Example Before:http://www.se-r.net/about/200sx/scc/...eb4.jpgExample After:http://www.se-r.net/about/200sx/scc/feb98/feb6.jpgJust for understanding purposes.OMR
OMR, they looked like on the second photo they added welded aluminum back in the heads and reground?

Old 11-20-2006, 06:58 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!
Default Quench Head

Erbbe,

I want to do a head first with a final 11.5 to one compression.
I want to maintain the use of two spark plugs.
Thus the quench pad that is already in the head will have to stay. This pad is what causes the turbulence so that the burn is accelerated from the center plug to the outside wall. This makes the burn rate balance with the second plug that is already near the other outside wall.
The concern is should I make two small quench pads or only one large cloverleaf pad. If I made two large cloverleafs, then I would have too high of a compression.
So I am looking for anyone to share their thoughts on which way to go.

OMR

Old 11-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

I dont blame you, running pump gas makes it easier to run off and go play! No Im very interested in this quench thread!

Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

Originally posted by: Boomer84
TVI , has been doing this for 5 years, on all our big bore and stroker motors. Good for 3 hp! HPR did not invent the wheel either!!!!!
Gary,

Could you offer up a little more info on Quench heads and how yours work? When you said your quench head was good for 3 hp, how did you come to that conclusion, what size motor and how much did it make before the quench head?

Also, which piston were you using when you dynoed the quench head?

With a little more info, it might be you are the go-to guy for these heads.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Let me know,

Ron

Old 11-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Range Rover
Default Quench Head

We modify the shape of chamber and use a special (propritary) piston design. HP gain of 3 HP on dyno 11 1/2 piston, pump gas!!!

Old 11-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

Originally posted by: Boomer84
We modify the shape of chamber and use a special (propritary) piston design. HP gain of 3 HP on dyno 11 1/2 piston, pump gas!!!

Thanks for responding Gary. I know there are a lot of people considering this technology now in our world because it has seemed to be successful in other racing venues.

How do you go about getting imperical data on this? Do you dyno a motor that is 11.5:1 and get 50 hp then pull the head, modify it and install the modified piston, all other variables remaining equal and re-dyno the motor to get 53 hp?

Thanks,

Ron

Old 11-23-2006, 12:11 AM
OMR
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

TVI HEAD:

http://my.50below.com/sitebuilder/pu...s/racehead.jpg

PAMI HEAD:

http://www.team-pami.com/images/Bomb...s7602gross.jpg

They are very simular and may produce a few more HPs, but they not not a true quench head.

They have a modified squish head chamber and allows the use of a piston that forces turbulence to the outside for a faster burn.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

Do those 2 flat spots on the sides help?? Race Head

Old 11-23-2006, 03:00 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Default Quench Head

The three machined surfaces in the combustion chamber are not flat.
I am guessing that they located off the center spark plug hole and the chamber turned at a 45 degree to convert the pentroof chamber to be closer to a hemi chamber.
The piston is tapered to match the angle of the chamber. This becomes a squish chamber and allows for a lower dome in the middle of piston. Flow over piston is improved and with some squish, a little better burn.
This has been used for some time and does have merit, but is not a true quench head.

Quick Reply: Quench Head