CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

looking at getting an 800 but ......look at this vid

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at getting an 800 but ......look at this vid

Why don't Polaris or A/C compete in these events?

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>

AC did recently, remember Raidermike?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But that was a "Rough" Terrain Challenge were ground clearance and a locker had an advantage, thats why AC took the championship. Do you really think AC had much of a chance in the Baja 1000? No way. I think the Outtlander is a superb machine, and i shines past AC in certain areas. But i also believe AC shines past the Outty in its own areas. I like to try and keep a level playing field, and say all brands have their advantages over others, except Honda of course. (jk)

Old 11-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

Originally posted by: v2rider
Why don't Polaris or A/C compete in these events?

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>

AC did recently, remember Raidermike?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But that was a "Rough" Terrain Challenge were ground clearance and a locker had an advantage, thats why AC took the championship. Do you really think AC had much of a chance in the Baja 1000? No way. I think the Outtlander is a superb machine, and i shines past AC in certain areas. But i also believe AC shines past the Outty in its own areas. I like to try and keep a level playing field, and say all brands have their advantages over others, except Honda of course. (jk)

I completely agree. We as consumers need to buy the machine that best suits are riding style's. Im very pro Outlander. Its the best utility for any kind of riding I do, but than again I have never done any rock climbing or riding. Every quad is probably better than every other quad in at least one style of riding.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

AC did recently, remember Raidermike? But that was a "Rough" Terrain Challenge were ground clearance and a locker had an advantage, thats why AC took the championship. Do you really think AC had much of a chance in the Baja 1000? No way. I think the Outtlander is a superb machine, and i shines past AC in certain areas. But i also believe AC shines past the Outty in its own areas>>>>>>>>>>

I don't necessarily mean they had to enter with the expectation to win but simply to finish IMO is a testament to the durability of the machine itself....There are many other factors on how high you finish unrelated to your machine, conditions, rider, pit stops, bad luck etc....Honda dominates the Baja, heck, they nearly sponsor it, the last DVD of it was filmed from the Honda chopper.

Ok, so the Cat can climb over rocks better, no problem....That video probably showed a 30 yard run of rocks but what about the other 999.7 miles? Polaris challenged all the other CEO's to a "duel" they all declined and now Polaris is claming some kind of retarded victory or whatever, why didn't Tom Tiller get on that SP800 and race it in Baja if his ATV is so tough? Most of thos Honda riders are not sponsored by Honda and there is a reason so many people choose to enter Honda's in this event, both quads and dirtbikes......because they know the machine can finish the job if the rider(s) can hold up. If I remember correctly the avg. speed of the top ATV's was around 50 MPH , I'm sure that v-twin Cat or SP800 can average that??

As others here have stated, pushing these machines in these types of races only makes them better. Can-Am/BRP takes this race seriously and for good reason. The Renegade was born from this race last year!

Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

they make the visco lok so riders can go fast in 4x4, which you cant do safely with a locker, however the traxter has locker.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

they make the visco lok so riders can go fast in 4x4, which you cant do safely with a locker, however the traxter has locker.

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>

I think they made visco lok, as Polaris made AWD, for the ease of not flipping any levers, or switches to lock it in. Everyones quad can go fast in 4x4. Its when its locked in the diffs that its hard to go fast. If the outty stayed locked in, you wouldnt be able to go fast either

Old 11-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

you didnt read my post correctly, i said go fast with a locker is not safe.it would be nice if a locker could have been made to work with the visco lok, but i guess it cant.its not legal to have a locked diff on a vechicle when used on roads because its not safe, and also increases wear on all the components + tires. of course i am refering to the front only.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

The only issue I saw in this video was that of GROUND CLEARANCE.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

I love my outtie, I have outperfomed several quads in the mud and I have also been outrun on trails by a sportsman 700. I also have 27 inch mudzillas that work for me in the mud and against me on the trail. As for my experience with Artic Cat, scrap metal is worth 40 cents a pound here. Heading to Hurley in October for pumpkin run. Would love to see toughrquad up there so he can see an outtie live. By the way, the outlander took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the mud pit this year. Anyone have results for the Highlifter comps?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Range Rover

Aside from the fact that the driver took a different line in that video. it's also obvious he does not have the confidence driving over this terrain that the AC driver had. the AC driver allowed his momentum to carry him up the next rock with each rock he approached. the outlander driver stoped each time he crossed a new rock. I think driving style had more to do with the slow down than the machine. Also. Visco loc takes a little getting used to. its not like the cat's differential loc. it takes some reving to engage. and you need to have confidence in the machine to use it right. I think this can mostly be attributed to lower driver skill, and different line. Also. I think in this particular situation, (Hevay rocky areas), nothing can really beat a differential lock. even Visco lock is not as effective as differential lock in this situation.

Is his visco lock working correctly ABSOLUTLY, is he using it right... hard to tell. is it the perfect system for this type of terrain.. no, but it is an awesome system. and works very well in this situation, and better in many others. so its all give and take. I think the important thing. is he made it to the top.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Take a look at LaMigra's videos and discussions on this topic. He bends over backward to be fair and honest. You can find them on google I believe.