CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Handlebar Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar Help

Guys,
I've got a question regarding Handlebars for my 2000 DS 650.
I put Trailtech bars on awhile back along with their light bar, computer and handlebar clamps (great products by the way).
I went with their fat bar and have realized that they are just not bent far enough back for me to grip in comfort. When I'm duning (usually @ Glamis) and we're on an agressive ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] , I like to keep my weight back and my arms are almost straight. This position doesn't give me a lot of leverage on the bars so I'm looking for bars that have more bend towards the rear of the quad. I'm not a small guy (6'2", 215 lbs) and the DS fits me great everwhere else.
The bars I'm looking for need to fit the Trailtech Big Bar clamp.
Also, I know its possible to bend the bars but I'm not sure they wouldn't break or generate a weak spot on the bend.
Any suggestions, recommendations?

Also - for those pesky, messy oil changes, I posted a fix more than a year ago and never spill oil. See my pic's to get the info.

Thanks for your help

Old 11-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Handlebar Help

Nice ds you got there...I also have the trialtech bars and they are an awesome product, one other suggestion besides the bend would be getting a +2 or +1 steering stem but I am not sure if the clamp system would still wor with this setup...just measuer the bars to see how thick they are and find ones at a local shop and put them on..good luck

http://store.albaaction.com/shop/31509-xx.html

Old 11-22-2006, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Handlebar Help

I know what you mean about the taller wider bars for Glamis, I found the Tag T-2 ATV HIGH bend was wider and way taller than stock and made it nicer to ride, I wish I could lower the footpegs 1" and set them back 1" also would make a big way in the handling of the DS for 6' 2 and above riders, you could always fabricate a Aluminum spacers for under the TrailTech Clamps to get extra lift also. I made some from 1" square aluminum to lift them up just a bit more, they also polish nice too.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handlebar Help

Before you go replacing the handle bars - try a spacer.

I was in the same place as you a few years ago. Then I had a buddy make me a 1" spacer out of aluminum. The differance was night and day. More comfort and I could pull the front end up easier.