CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

louiziana lawyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default louiziana lawyer

does anyone know of a good lawyer back there to handle a problem i have. i have kept all the emails of the conversations back and forth . they also contain all the facts of how much money and what all work was to be done. the last deadline has passed by a month now. nothing personal just getting tired of broken promises. any help would be apreciated.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default louiziana lawyer

Johnny Cochran would be a good start. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default louiziana lawyer

Or you could try Barry Sheck. He practices all over the U.S.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default louiziana lawyer

Originally posted by: HeadsupRacing
Johnny Cochran would be a good start. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
The Ghost of Johnny Cochran. Even more terrifying. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default louiziana lawyer

Did your old lawyer forget to send you a bill? That actually happened to me once.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:49 AM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!
Default louiziana lawyer

Eric,

Check out your small claims court and how it applies to suppliers that are local versus out of state.

I spent too much money with an attorney, wasted 2 years, went to small claims and got it done in 30 days. I was limited to $5000 but that was better than nothing.

OMR

Old 11-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default louiziana lawyer

Originally posted by: OMR
Eric,

Check out your small claims court and how it applies to suppliers that are local versus out of state.

I spent too much money with an attorney, wasted 2 years, went to small claims and got it done in 30 days. I was limited to $5000 but that was better than nothing.

OMR
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default louiziana lawyer

Scott,

I want to see you get that chassis but anymore you need about $20 to $30k minimum at stake to involve an attorney.....unless you are simply getting counsel.

You would be almost better off to go to their shop and slip in the oil, lol. Then you can get your attorney's fees paid, J/K [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Small claims goes up to $7500 now I believe and that seems like your best bet but that involves the cost of you flying over there to appear which is more money out of your pocket......

Here is the real kicker IMHO.... You need to find out if these guys have any money. If they are broke and in debt, you can win a judgement all day long but if they don't have the money or even decide to stiff you after the judgement, there isn't much that can be done.

I would go to his shop and make him set a hard deadline in writing, list the consequences which involve you pressing charges if he misses it. Make sure it is a date he is so convinced he can meet that he will sign the form.

When the day comes show up to collect your chassis. If it isn't done, press charges.

I think seeing you show up in his shop acting pissed would be enough for him to start bending chromolly up, lol.

It is sometimes really hard to collect money after a lawsuit if the people have it. It is impossible to collect it if they don't.......

Ron

Old 11-22-2006, 01:24 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!
Default louiziana lawyer

Through small claims they do add court costs and the costs of your filing fees, which upon you winning is added to what they have to pay back.
For not paying you back in an acceptable time, you can garnish their wages, very small charge, this alone can get them in trouble with any employer. They will settle before this happens.

Collect info first and then you have a plan on how to get this guy excited.
Never threaten with taken him to court, this will give him time to hide his assets.

The plus with small claims is that they are served 48 hours after to sign the papers and he is locked in and cannot hide his assets.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default louiziana lawyer

Originally posted by: OMR
Through small claims they do add court costs and the costs of your filing fees, which upon you winning is added to what they have to pay back.
For not paying you back in an acceptable time, you can garnish their wages, very small charge, this alone can get them in trouble with any employer. They will settle before this happens.

Collect info first and then you have a plan on how to get this guy excited.
Never threaten with taken him to court, this will give him time to hide his assets.

The plus with small claims is that they are served 48 hours after to sign the papers and he is locked in and cannot hide his assets.
That is great info! In a situation like this do you think the jurisdiction would be decided by the location of the guy's shop or would it be decided by the buyer's location where the payment originated from?

It would be a very good thing if he was served papers and had to come to California to appear.........if he didn't show, Scott wins by default [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: louiziana lawyer