CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

OXYGENATED FUEL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OXYGENATED FUEL?

Is it worth experimenting with?If so why?

Old 12-16-2006, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default OXYGENATED FUEL?

Here is a VP fuel listings on there Oxygenated products Text VP fuels

Old 12-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default OXYGENATED FUEL?

I don't think it is. As often as you ride, you are better off to upgrade a "fixed" part that will give you the same gains. Lets say the oxygenated fuel adds $300 per year to your riding and it adds about 2 - 3 hp. You could probably upgrade your cams or porting for $300 to see more gains than that and you make that money back in only one year.

That is how I would look at it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Lets say you ride twice per month at 5 gallons through that bike per trip at $6.00 for 110 race gas. That is $780 per year in 110. The Oxygenated fuels are around $12 per gallon. That is $1560 per year. You could do a 730 and pay it off in a couple years just in fuel savings, lol.

I am riding on Sunday. Beautiful weather on the forcast. Will you be out there? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default OXYGENATED FUEL?

ERBEDS650 thanks for the VP information but i have seen that before and wanted some first hand experience information.Ron i will probably not be putting any more $$$ into my stock bore(i know i have said that before) but i think i mean it this time.I have talked to a few people in the past that have seen decent gains when running the oxygenated fuels and i would not mind the cost if it could show me maybe a strong one quad lengths gain to be used for "special" occasions only.I may try the oxygenated fuel at some point and use my Radar gun to get real results on its performance or lack of just for fun.My HPR 14:1 piston should be more than capable of handling the oxygenated fuels without damage in my opinion.I talked to Tony on the phone tonight and he said you were going to Florence Sunday and i would really like to be there but Chuck is still doing his thing on my Baja so i will wait.Chucks work is worth waiting for!!!!

Old 12-16-2006, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default OXYGENATED FUEL?

If you do run the OXYGENATED FUEL check that jetting that fuel runs lean

Old 12-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default OXYGENATED FUEL?

I don't think it is. As often as you ride, you are better off to upgrade a "fixed" part that will give you the same gains. Lets say the oxygenated fuel adds $300 per year to your riding and it adds about 2 - 3 hp. You could probably upgrade your cams or porting for $300 to see more gains than that and you make that money back in only one year
Very, very well said DSNUT. The cost benefit is just not there IMHO.
[
If you want a bit more power you can always add about 10 to 12% alkie to your favorite gas. It's cheap and it works.
If you go back and forth on OX/non OX fuels your going to have to redo your jetting every time. Thats a pain.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default OXYGENATED FUEL?

If you want a bit more power you can always add about 10 to 12% alkie to your favorite gas. It's cheap and it works.
If you go back and forth on OX/non OX fuels your going to have to redo your jetting every time. Thats a pain.[/quote]

Doctorturbo
How much does your jetting change from stright race fuel to adding 10 to 12% alkie what kind up jump in the jetting 5 to 8 sizes or more?

Old 12-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default OXYGENATED FUEL?

Doctorturbo How much does your jetting change from stright race fuel to adding 10 to 12% alkie what kind up jump in the jetting 5 to 8 sizes or more?
I just can't say for a quad motor. I've never tried this deal on quads.
I can say for a car motor not much. Not much at all. Maybe two jet sizes on a holley carb if your dead on to begin with.
California went to 10% ethanol many, many years ago to meet their own smog laws. Then they went to MTBE. Then they went back to ethanol. (Morons!!!) When they went to OX fuel many years ago my fuel mileage dropped about a mile or two/ gallon. (Just like wipping air in ice cream!!!) My car at the time had a carb'ed 350 in it. I did not have to rejet but it was also a double pumper carb, so I had it set a bit rich from the get go.

My "guess" is only a few jet sizes if you were on the money to begin with. Then do a plug chop and see where your at.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:28 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!
Default OXYGENATED FUEL?

10% ethanol is becoming mandatory in Wisconsin.

Being in the corn belt it is to help to support our local economy.

One jet size is fine Example 180 to 185

The biggest problem with this blend is spark plug reading. Appears to be lean and when you get a normal tan on the porcelan, the end of base is black. The electrode looks like dirty powder and difficult to tell heat range.

Since I have to live with it, I have finally got to understand its useage.

We had to bump the timing up 2 degrees to really appreciate its benefits.
Cheap power but it is not just poor it in and go.

OMR

Old 12-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Default OXYGENATED FUEL?

I tried oxygenated fuel and it's my opinion that the biggest largest gains will be by the people who sell it to you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: OXYGENATED FUEL?