CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Major carb troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major carb troubles

My needle assembly with the two little washers and spring etc....falls apart inside the carb and thank god the slide even with the 4 huge holes in the bottom managed to keep all the small springs and washers from entering my intake...any ideas as to why these would come apart? It happend twice now...the first time i didnt catch on and thought i must of taken that apart. It seems to happen under high revs then all of a suddon she starts spuddering and will only idle due to the needle assembly being in pieces? any ideas? I dont want to run it anymore untill i figure out why this is happening..everything snaps in perfect and its not my first time in the carb so yes its together right.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddies honda 400ex would always do that, so he used a little dab of blue lock tite.
It may work. Just don't know if it is a long term solution for ya..

Old 12-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

I have had this same problem. If you are running the "C-Clip" on the richest setting, you may find that when you reassemble the needle into the sllide, there is no movement at all when you push on the needle from the bottom. Since there is no room for movement, that is what causes the assembly to eventually come apart. I solved this by filing a little bit off of the top (flat part) of the needle (about 1/16" I believe). After I did this, and reassembled, there was room for a little bit of movement when you push on the needle. Never had it come apart after that.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

If you are running in the richest position, you should jet up a size on the main jet. Ideally the needle clip should be in the middle position. The needle assembly should "float" and be able to move side to side and up and down slightly. The plastic piece that holds the assembly together is supposed to have an o-ring on it if I remember correctly. Make sure that it's not missing. Try pushing the plastic holder into the slide without the needle and make sure it fits in securely. You might try pinching the top of slide together slightly to increase tension on the holder.
Look down inside the slide, down at the bottom you may notice a casting flaw so that the area the lower washer fits into isn't round, this throws the needle sideways and may be sticking or getting friction somewhere. You can file or grind a flat on the lower washer to match this flaw and the washer should be carefully positioned to fit. Then the needle and parts slid through the bottom washer. This will change the jetting slightly and if you are already to the top you will deffinately need to go to a richer main jet.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

Well...everything seems fine.... i think it might be a tad wore out...so i applied a very tiny ammount of adhesive on a corner and its not comming out of there anytime soon.