CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Renegade 800 first ride impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 PM
GWP
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renegade 800 first ride impressions

Great review and not hard reading, just sit down and read it!!

I would like to ask a question to everyone please:

Have you heard whether or not BRP has addressed the weak frame with this quad or not?

I am a polaris fan at heart but couldn't pass by the greatness that can-am has created in the Renegade and I am very interested, but the more I have read I have seen a small reoccuring issue come up every so often as the only flaw with BRP is their frame is their weakness.

Any insight would be helpful in considering a new Sportsman 800 or the Renegade 800.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GWP
Great review and not hard reading, just sit down and read it!!

I would like to ask a question to everyone please:

Have you heard whether or not BRP has addressed the weak frame with this quad or not?
gwp, that issue of weak frames on Outys is a rumor only. It has stemmed from guys running into something, tree, last one I heard of was a house, or jumping a 1000 pound quad, duh, and then trying to get it fixed under warranty. When CanAm says no, then they're all over the forums bad mouthing the Outys for a weak frame.

There is not a single instance that I know of where a bent frame resulted from just plain old hard riding, not one. Don't believe the weak frame rumor. Like every rumor there is a little truth in it, and the truth in this rumor is that the frame needs skid plate protection. Worst I ever saw for frame protection from the factory.

No question that the frame needs skid plates at the first tank of gas, and CanAm is putting out straight jive when they talk about the spar plate sliding over obstacles. What a crock.

Also, their continuous lie about 12" ground clearance is ongoing, '06 to the '07's. I truly believe CanAm is one of the worst in lieing to their customers. Their warranty is pretty well backed up though.

I would rather not deal with them, but the Outy is the best utility quad out there, so what are you going to do?

Good quads make strange bedfellows.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:21 AM
GWP
Trailblazer

Kawi ~ Thank you for your reply. I hear you, but I am not just hearing it as a rumor. I believe it is the Nov. issue of Dirt Wheels that does a 700cc shoot out and the only negative they gave BRP was a weak frame. It isn't the first time a magazine has made that remark.

I am hard to my machines. I like Cross country traveling, where some would dare go. I have left many a trail companion sitting on the trail because the wouldn't follow me. I LOVE what BRP has put together in the renegade package, its a dream come true, but I want to make sure that it is going hold up to my 240lbs and rough riding.

Thank you for your thoughts I will mark it down.

Anyone else care to share?

Old 01-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Pro Rider

I've ridden my Outlander up some extreme trails and it has hauled my 350# butt around with no problems, although I haven't tried 10'+ jumps, that is NOT what an Outlander was designed for. I also ride with my 200# wife up some rough trails, no problems. I don't worry about the frame issue, as its a non-issue if you are riding the Outlander as a Utility quad to explore the trails. If you want to jump a quad, get a sport quad, or don't whine about breaking your quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The Outlander does need skid plate, but I would rather get my own plates from an aftermarket company that makes thick plates then a thin plate supplied by the manufacturer, like most quads. Where I ride, I would put an aftermarket plate on any brand. Some of the riders I go with ended up putting 1/4 inch steel plate under their Polaris 800 and Grizzly. I bought Ricochets, and when they get beat up too bad, I'll replace them.

To me, skid plates are like tire, they are made to be used up! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, when I bought my 800 Outlander Max XT I measured the bottom height prior to skid plates. I got 12 inches under the rear diff and 11.5 inches under the front diff. So BRP was not lying, they just didn't tell you how LONG you would have that ground clearance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] My springs have settled some but I don't hit rocks that often. I planned on getting a set of Elkas when I bought the quad anyway, as you can't beat the ride...

Old 01-05-2007, 10:21 AM
GWP
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: azsandrider
I've ridden my Outlander up some extreme trails and it has hauled my 350# butt around with no problems, although I haven't tried 10'+ jumps, that is NOT what an Outlander was designed for. q]

Thanks AZ for your info but I am in search of info regarding the new Renegade! That one should handle the jumps, it the utility side of that machine that I am woried about, and yes there is a very small utility side to the renegade.

Cheers!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

So does anyone make skid plates yet for this machine?

Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 PM
TPR
The Champ

I believe Epic has some beefy steel ones in the works. I'll have to check with them next week as they have their desert race they sponsor this weekend.

TPR

Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

GWP
I am not sure what you are asking for. The Sportsman 800 is not even in the same ball park as the Renegade. I do not think an 800 lb Utility quad can be jumped with much success. If you are seriously considering just those two quads, you need to decide whether you want a tank or a sports car.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 PM
GWP
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Cardiac
GWP
I am not sure what you are asking for. The Sportsman 800 is not even in the same ball park as the Renegade. I do not think an 800 lb Utility quad can be jumped with much success. If you are seriously considering just those two quads, you need to decide whether you want a tank or a sports car.
Hi Cardiac ~ I understand what you are saying. I want a BIG bore 4x4 that can handle the abuse and get me where I want to go. I used a Sportsman 700 and did some crazy/stupid stuff that shouldn't be done on a utility quand, but it worked for me, got me there and back, and NEVER broke. I have gotten acustomed to the "tank" which provides a cadillic type ride.

BUT it is time to get something with EFI. BRP has come out with the Renegade, which has a place for a winch up front and is said to have a small optioanl rack for the rear (all I need) . . . the Renegade is a dream come true, but I am kind of stuck on the cushy ride of the tank. So I am simply trying to learn more about the Renegade from folks that may already have one.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

The Renegade is a dream come true for as well 4 me... Its everything that i would want. 4x4/plenty of travel/tons of power. Only the bad thing is my Renegade is not gonna be in til the end of Feb. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I have mudlites/winch coming 4 the Renegade when it arrives. (which i have not seen let) It is gonna be a mud flining machine.

Quick Reply: Renegade 800 first ride impressions