CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Idea for keeping mud out of ds rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007 | 11:42 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Idea for keeping mud out of ds rims

I was thinking about how much mud i get in my ds650x's rims.The lip holds the mudd in there.Ive saw them on past quads where it looks like a plastic lid or something inside a atv rim and keeps mud and rocks out.What are they called and does anyone bought or made some for there ds.I would like some because all that mud has to a a couple of pounds.Not like it matters on trails but the rims just get so cluttered up.It would just be for the rear.Maybe make them using a lid of some sort with tie straps.If anyone knows what im talking about info is apreciated.

Old 01-27-2007 | 12:16 AM
|
Pro Rider

Anyone know what im talking about.I saw this kind of thing in mx racing.I would think it might help rotating mass also seeing how the mudd in the rim would slow rotating wouldnt it.So this product might be a good thing for mudd and rocks and sand.Keeping that stuff out.

Old 01-27-2007 | 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

i know what ur talkin about, MX racers use them, Doug Gust has nice ones for his Z400 when he races, i've never seen them on a DS but im sure its not a difficult design, i get custom ones done when i ride in 2 feet of snow, just packs right in and seals my rims up nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2007 | 01:01 AM
|
Pro Rider

What do they use.How does it go to the rim.I want to make a set and have them not look like a piece of sh*t.Do they pop in.Then put on an aftermarket name sticker on them.Just dont have and plastic i could use.Do you think i should use zip ties or is there a better way?

Old 01-27-2007 | 02:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Sprint cars use what they call mud plugs. It's just a high density foam. It's light and works good from what I have been told.
You might try looking it up on the net and see if they make some in a smaller size.

Old 01-27-2007 | 08:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

the transparent "lids" you speak of are used on rims that have been designed for them - the rims you see wearing these have a feature built into the rim that the disks screw to, and are removable at will.
I have not seen them retrofitted to a stock rolled lip rim, not sure how you would or could, but where there is a will there is a way some maybe you can come up with something.
The foam Doc speaks of sounds interesting, have not seen that before..

Old 01-27-2007 | 10:19 AM
|
Pro Rider

I thought about going to a craft shop or something like that.The rims on my ds650 is the x rims with the lip.So it would be easy to just use tiny zip ties.I looking for black flexible plastic.I will put maybe a aftermarket sticker on then so they look alittle nicer.I will just use them when i go on the trails.I get alot of mudd and rock accumulation riding.

Old 01-27-2007 | 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Nac's racing site has the mud caps you are referring to. Do not fit DS rims though.

Old 01-27-2007 | 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The foam Doc speaks of sounds interesting, have not seen that before..
Here you go Hightower. Like I said, I don't know if they have a smaller version? You could even paint naked women on them!!!
Mud plug

Old 01-27-2007 | 08:18 PM
|
Pro Rider

The three inch thilness would be good for a atv.But not a 15 high.Maybe i could call them and see what they say.See i would need 9 inches high for rear and 3 inches or sow thicknes.There for the stocker dsx rims.They look cool.

Quick Reply: Idea for keeping mud out of ds rims