CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

so who is building what ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so who is building what ???

you know Bud, Im just a naturally likeable guy I guess. everyone always has such nice things to say about me and I dont have an enemy in the world. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] LOL

Old 01-31-2007, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I can tell!! lol !! What happened to the days when a few guys could get together , tell lies, have a beer or two , TOTALLY bash each others stuff ( whatever that may be) Go racin, and win, loose or draw. Be better friends at the end of the day.?!?!?!?? cause this is really just a HOBBIE!! FOR FUNNNN!!!

OH !! AND MY LITTLE GSXR 1000 WITH IT'S LITTLE PUNNEY SHOT OF NOS AND IT'S UGLY TANK UNDER THE SEAT WILL MOP UP YOUR OVER WEIGHT , POORLY BALANCED, OVER RATED, BANDAID PUT TOGETHER DS FRAME,WITH THOSE STUPID LOOKING STOCK HEAL GUARDS. HAAAAYYYYAAABBBUUSSSSAAAAA!!!!!!! ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!!!!! ( non turbo of course) lol lo ll ol oooll o ll o lll oll ol oll!!!

see just havin fun (or am I ?) lol lollllololllollllo lol lol lol!!!!!1

Old 02-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

hey bud , I thought you were doing a busa soon? or had already started one? oh and the shipping company just called me and my cherry 03 baja that I bought back east will be here monday. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] looks like a real nice bike! cant wait to rip it to pieces. LOL

Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Buddy! I hope ya got my bit of humor? After reading the other posts, I could'nt help myself. lol.. Busa? Maybe down the road. I have 4 Gsxr 1000 engine/carkits, Building our 3rd now. 4th engine will be getting some power mods. Would sure like the power of the Busa with the size and weight of the Gsxr.. Yea I read you picked up an 03 baja. I think that's about the best one to start with, I'm jealous lol .. our 3rd build,, 04 roller X $700!! It's all there except the motor!! Sat out in the guys back yard for 6-8 months , bugs and spiders, but $700!!!!!

Kurt and I agree the fuel tank in the normal place does look better , but all our future builds will have the tank in the rear. Our First build has the tank in the normal place but that bike feels nose heavy. From ON the throttle to OFF the bike nose dives too much, uncomfortable amount of weight transfer, Transition from up hill to down hill, DUNING, is just plain scary! Throws the rider forward way to much. Alot more body english is needed by the rider. Front end seems to snow plow in turns. On long down hill rides feels like the hill is steeper than it really is. Needs to be easier to stab the throttle and get the front end up at critical moments too .I know better shocks would help, but for $ sake I want to use the stock shocks, and the weight transfer while duning needs to be dealt with. But VERY nice for hill shooting. Front end stays down , even with aggressive starts

2nd build with tank in the rear: With these tanks FULL weighing 20 to 25 lbs. Moving the tank front to back equals a 40 to 50 lb weight distrubution change, that's pretty big. This bike is MUCH more predictable! Way better balance in the dunes , transitions are way more comfortable. Alot LESS body english needed by the rider. Stock shocks work very well too! Bike feels and acts lighter. But you all may have seen Kurt have trouble launching this thing at 4SW ,MLK weekend, at Dumont. Front end really wants to head for the sky. We may try a +10 rear swing arm on our 3 build to help with this. Now using a +8. And we did change the rear suspention design a bit.

We also did some mods to the frame under the seat and our rear tank extends beyond the seat into the grab bar area, thats where the fill is . tank only hangs down 6 1/2 inches below the seat,, 3.1 Gal.

Well with all this in mind and the sheer ease of building the tank in the rear and still able to get 16.25 inches of travel...I'll put up with<<< UGLY! >>> LOL and the questions like ,,,<Is that a bump stop in the rear?>

Old 02-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

So who is building what???-I'm building my house, or rather rebuilding it slowly, by myself, in my free time and it sucks, because I'm not finishing my rail, my Manx, and I have a little pile of parts to put on my DS and another pile of goodies for my sons LT80.
What I am not building is a snowmobile motored Pilot or the 2 Honda VTR1000/DS superquads that have sat in pieces in the shop for the last couple years.

SST, you've joined the forum fairly recently and if you seem to be a magnet for heat, perhaps it's the way you come off. I don't what happened with RLarryCSwinger, but he's obviously been offended. I recall your post lately making fun of some guys conversion for sale on eBay but please remember that we can't all start at your level. I've seen your pics of older builds and some weren't so pretty. Just my 2 cents.

About 5 years ago a friend picked up a good deal on a CBR1000, not the nifty new one but an early 90's sport tourer. He wanted the motor to put into a donor quad and I tried to convince him just to sell it for a profit as it was in fine shape and had new plastic. With a lot of brainstorming we wound up with a compromise, a street bike with four wheels. 130-150 hp, 630 lbs and more attention than you can handle. It hangs with some of the fastest Banshees in Oregon and will embarrass most quads with two in the saddle. Are there things we would change, hell yes, but it came out great for a low budget first build. I don't have any good racing footage but if I get time I'll convert and upload some vid of this thing at play.

Around this time another friend let me try out his Honda RC51. I was really impressed by the instant torque. I picked this style motor (1000 v-twin) as a goal for my superquad on which I wanted to try some of the improvements I'd come up with. My goals were better handling, more suspension travel, and lighter weight. Since I spent so much time on eBay rounding up the parts (rolling chassis were very scarce back then--Jealous!!) I decided to build two and sell one.
Then my house caught up to me and here I sit. Interestingly, the next generation I planned would have been R1 powered seeming very similar to RLarryCSwinger's project, of which I'm anxious to see a picture.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

I remember that CBR running at Florence a few years back and it was running with some fast company.That was and is a unique looking very clean toy that probably sounds better than just about anything i have heard on the sand.Is it retired?

Old 02-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Range Rover

I think I've seen this quad before, is it a gray CBR owned by Doug in Lebonan? I would really like to see it out on the dunes to run with RLarryCSwinger's R1 bike Feb 17/18 weekend.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

The CBR is one and the same, I've got a pic of him on my photo page. Doug's a busy single dad right now but I'm sure he'll find time to go duning, just not sure when.
It's a fast quad but I'm just going to throw out a guess that the nearly 300lb weight difference to RLarryCSwinger's R1 bike may be noticable[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

If anyone wants to snicker at a bike, check out the three wheeler on my photo page. Just don't do it in front of Jeff, he's 6'5"+.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] He's a great guy really and just has alot of ideas and an enormous shop to try them out in. That trike weighs about 400lbs and I happen to have a motor with almost 200hp laying around-hmmm.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just got some weights back from a guy I work with.......

A complete Hayabusa motor with everything including ehhaust headers is 226 lbs on our scales.

A complete 2005 R1 motor with the same equipment is 144 lbs.

A complete GSXR1000 is 186 lbs.

In case anyone is interested. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

Wow good information I had no Idea that the 1000 cc motors had that kind of weight differance.

Quick Reply: so who is building what ???