CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

so who is building what ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so who is building what ???

Here are some dyno #'s on streetbike motors I am sure some of you will be very interested in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/stre...e_dyno_charts/

Old 02-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dyno Numbers

Old 02-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Those numbers seem to be right on the money!! Thats why pound for pound, the 1000 is more powerful. Especially the 05 models and newer. They really opened that motor up in 05. Throw a little power adder in there, and the busa smoked everything.

To not get off topic,
I am building a Stage I turbocharged Hayabusa DS at the moment. Velocity Racing turbo charger with an external wastegate, and 2 stage boost controller. I may not even run the 2nd stage on it. I may just change the spring in the wastegate to put it up to 270 or so all the time. I originally thought the 2nd stage would be great for going from 230 or so dune riding, flip a switch to 270 or so with a bit more torque for racing, but Im having 2nd thoughts on that. This is a duner all the way around. It will be a wheelie machine no matter what without the wheelie bar, so whats the point of taking it any higher for the dunes. Its stretched 10 inches and will retain the stock wheel travel. The next machine will get all the goodies and be drag only. For my son, he is currently riding a custom Lt80 (looking )machine, with an Rm80 motor in it. (LT plastic, the rest is custom) This summer, I am building him an 03 blaster with an Rm125 for hitting the dunes. He may not be ready for that until next year, but Im going to build it anyway.

Thats what is in the works in my garage,

Gary

Old 02-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

I know the R1 is a lot lighter but yamaha got it so light by sacraficing strength and if any of you have ever taken 1 apart you know what I'm talking about. that motor is so packed together and compact internally you wouldnt believe it. the rod on the number 1 cylinder comes within 1/4 inch of the clutch basket, the oil pump and waterpump are both mounted inside the oil pan and are both driven by a TINY long sloppy chain that looks like jewelry or something. the cases are so thin and light that there just isn't much backbone to the motor at all. I would be very afraid to spray one for fear it would shatter like glass. I spoke with a service guy at the yamaha dealer in reno about the r1 while I was waiting for parts and he told me that quite a few of them grenade. also I have a feeling those weights are a little exagerated but I could be wrong. keep in mind you are getting 300 more cc's which makes the busa 1/3 larger? and WAY more torque that comes with those cc's. seems like the crated weight of 1 complete car kit was 237lbs? including the crate , gauges, bar switches , ignition switch, and packing materials.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

By the way, when I refered to the 1000 being more powerful pound for pound, and redesigned in 05, I was talking about the gsxr1000. Ive heard the same thing about the R1 motors, but have never touched one in my life. Im a huge fan of the gixxer motors, and never been much of a kawi, honda fan.

Gary

Old 02-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: supersonictoys
I know the R1 is a lot lighter but yamaha got it so light by sacraficing strength and if any of you have ever taken 1 apart you know what I'm talking about. that motor is so packed together and compact internally you wouldnt believe it. the rod on the number 1 cylinder comes within 1/4 inch of the clutch basket, the oil pump and waterpump are both mounted inside the oil pan and are both driven by a TINY long sloppy chain that looks like jewelry or something. the cases are so thin and light that there just isn't much backbone to the motor at all. I would be very afraid to spray one for fear it would shatter like glass. I spoke with a service guy at the yamaha dealer in reno about the r1 while I was waiting for parts and he told me that quite a few of them grenade. also I have a feeling those weights are a little exagerated but I could be wrong. keep in mind you are getting 300 more cc's which makes the busa 1/3 larger? and WAY more torque that comes with those cc's. seems like the crated weight of 1 complete car kit was 237lbs? including the crate , gauges, bar switches , ignition switch, and packing materials.
We all know you are set in your ways. I have 100 hrs of hard hill racing and duning on my current R1 with no problems. Sometimes extra weight is just extra weight, it doesn't necessarily mean there isn't enough strength.

I agree that the R1 isn't the motor of choice for power adders but i don't think the Hayabusa is the motor of choice for a light, quick, duner/hill shooter. Remember that 80 lbs isn't just dead weight. A fair amount is internal rotating and reciprocating mass as well. The R1 revs much quicker.......and with the extra RPM it turns, I can close the torque deficit a bunch through gearing leverage and still pull good MPH out of each gear.

Why would you say I exaggerated the weights? We weighed a complete Raptor 700 motor at the same time with all of its stuff and it weighed 136 lbs with head pipe and throttle body.....on the same scale. Even if the weights are a little different than someone else's scale, the comparison between these motors is still educational......unless you are suggesting I skewed the numbers.........

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
We all know you are set in your ways. I have 100 hrs of hard hill racing and duning on my current R1 with no problems. Sometimes extra weight is just extra weight, it doesn't necessarily mean there isn't enough strength.

I agree that the R1 isn't the motor of choice for power adders but i don't think the Hayabusa is the motor of choice for a light, quick, duner/hill shooter. Remember that 80 lbs isn't just dead weight. A fair amount is internal rotating and reciprocating mass as well. The R1 revs much quicker.......and with the extra RPM it turns, I can close the torque deficit a bunch through gearing leverage and still pull good MPH out of each gear.

Why would you say I exaggerated the weights? We weighed a complete Raptor 700 motor at the same time with all of its stuff and it weighed 136 lbs with head pipe and throttle body.....on the same scale. Even if the weights are a little different than someone else's scale, the comparison between these motors is still educational......unless you are suggesting I skewed the numbers.........

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Set in your ways huh. HMMM. I don't know anyone else like that do I.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am glad you are all happy with your own bikes. That is the way it should be.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

first off I never said you exagerated the weights Nutt hole... you said ," just got some weights back from a guy I work with......." . this implies that someone else weighed them. was it in fact you that weighed them now? were you and little jimmyjoe "Your red headed cousin that for some reason falls down alot a but nobody like to talk about it" balancing these entire car kits on the oil plug on your poor old bathroom scale thats all rusty from being to close to the toilet in a house full of people who can't aim so good ? if this is the case then I'm sure your numbers are 100% correct [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

you know?? sometimes I crack myself up...LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

first off I never said you exagerated the weights Nutt hole... you said ," just got some weights back from a guy I work with......." . this implies that someone else weighed them. was it in fact you that weighed them now? were you and little jimmyjoe "Your red headed cousin that for some reason falls down alot a but nobody like to talk about it" balancing these entire car kits on the oil plug on your poor old bathroom scale thats all rusty from being to close to the toilet in a house full of people who can't aim so good ? if this is the case then I'm sure your numbers are 100% correct [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

LOL, you are a good man Gregg! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] lol

Quick Reply: so who is building what ???