CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Renegade Rims to SOFT!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renegade Rims to SOFT!!

I just picked up my new Renegade on Friday. What a machine!! It is so much faster that my 500 scrambler. It was fun passing all my friends on their Polaris machines. But, what is up with the Renegade rims? I was riding on the river and hit an ice chunk at around 25 mph. It bent my rim!! I can tell you that I hit many stumps, rocks ect with my scrambler and never bent a rim to a point where I lost my bead. The worst part about the story, I had to get pulled in to a polaris shop where they tried to hammer out my rim so I could continue to ride. I got a lot of crap from the polaris guys all day long on how I felt about spending that much money and only getting to ride for an hour. It is really frusturating! Why are the rims so fragile. I thought this was suppose to be a 4x4 off road machine. I really love the ride and the power but I am very dissapointed on how week the rims are. I hate to see what a new rim will cost me. For the price we pay for the renegade the machine should be able to handle a little off roading. It was a very expensive day I'm sure! Has anyone else had a problem with their rims???

Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

see my reply in the other thread !

Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Sry to hear... you spend all that bling on a machine and something like that happens. Try to get warrenty on that rim, which is defective or something. I have some beefy mudlites comin... hopefully that will protect the rims better

Old 02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Range Rover

Can't say I've bent a wheel, but the tires seem to get holes in them real easy and if it was low or something wouldn't take much to bend a wheel. I've always had steel wheels in the past we'll see how these hold up I'm going on a ride this weekend after I get mine serviced tomorrow so we'll see how they hold up.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

No kidding, you really do get punctures that easy. I thought those ATR tires are pretty tuff, especially since they're six ply

Old 02-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

I think the rims are a little on the soft side, especially if you push it hard through the trail like a lot of us do, hit one large rock too hard just right and BANG, happened to me my second day, it will happen to others. Dont forget guys, we use these machines in rough trails, these things are going to happen. Along with dents, and scratches and scrapes etc. Think of them as battle scars, gives a quad character.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I want to thank everyone for getting back with me. I truely do love this machine. Just disappointed in the rims. Probably more disappointed that my ride was cut so short that day. I really wanted to put the machine to the test and go flying by my buddies a few more time. I just think they could have found some better rims to put on the machine. I know I ride hard all the time, but isn't that what the renegade is suppose to be made for! I have been riding for 15 years and this is the first time I've ever had to stop my ride short because of a bent rim. I have dented up many rims in my day but none of them bent up like these. Maybe I just need to add tubes to the tires?

Old 03-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your message cought my attention this if my first time replying on this board. I just got back from West Vurginia, Hatfield McCoy trailis in Gilbert.AWESOME! I went with aZ400 sport Quad and after the first day I made my decision to buy the Renegade. Totaly happy nothing like it it was the talk of the trails and performed to it proposed reputation,BUT!! First day second hour thrashed into a medium size rock on edge of trial and put a huge "V" groove in side of frony rim. Tire deflated 18 miles out and after slamming the rim for a hour with local rocks no success. We had air charges and a compressor all ussless with the dent in the rim. Any rate i bought a new rim and tire since I road back 18 mile on a flat. That by the way was impressive to me climming and decending all the way back at a average 10 -15 mph. Here is the kicker, I road next day awesome ride did 101 miles on all black trails no problems total sucess. Got back power washed "Gilbert" his new name, and sat down had a beer and my budys point out the NEW rim was dented as well not as bad as first but is a slow leak. WHAT THE F! I spent $237 on replacement and still have old. Any hints on solution with BRP and or repairing Alum rim?? Thanks hope to hear reply.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Glad to hear you like your new ride and sorry you are having the same problem I had with the rims. Yes, it really does suck that they are that soft. I get tired of everyone trying to say that when you ride hard these things happen. I have been riding hard since 1991 and my renegade is the first machine to leave me stranded on the trail because of a bent rim. I love the machine, but they have to put better rims on these things. I took my bent rim into a local tire shop. The guy there is an ATV'er also. He was able to get the rim bent out and it has held air since. I went out one day and put 15-20 miles on it in the woods. It is still holding air. I think I will still get another rim and tire just in case though for a big trip. Don't want to be stranded because of a tire issue. Hope you have better luck.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Same here man. In the first 2 hours of owning my Renegade I hit a small rock and puff, the front tire deflates. We spend 2 hours hammering the rim just enough to get it to hold air again. I also have a crazy wobble in my back tire.

Quick Reply: Renegade Rims to SOFT!!