CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

outty 800 or sports 800

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outty 800 or sports 800

I'm pretty sure that the Polaris 800 does in fact weigh ~150lbs more than the Outty800, Polaris' are HEAVY atv's, trust me I had one and it was only the sportsman 400, can't imagine how heavy the SP 800 would be.

Not saying that Polaris is bad though...that extra weight really comes in handy when doing utility type work, such as snow plowing or towing. The Outty 800 is faster & more powerful but the sportsman is a better all around ATV IMHO.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Another good point why they might have been closer in weight than what the specs account for. Overall, I think the polaris is significantly heavier, how much is the question.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

By the way kawiyowee, who's arguing lol. All I know is, I need to get more seat time soon, been a few weeks. Think I'm experiencing withdrawal LOL.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

kas - That withdrawal really does exist, doesn't it?

We have been out twice in the last three weeks, rushing it. Thought I was gonna have to leave my baby out there in the snow all by itself both times. Wore me out both times, trying to get back up on top of the crust...lol....got to wait another 3-4 weeks, it's murder!...lol

Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Just not enough time to play ya know.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Toyeboy
I'm pretty sure that the Polaris 800 does in fact weigh ~150lbs more than the Outty800, Polaris' are HEAVY atv's, trust me I had one and it was only the sportsman 400, can't imagine how heavy the SP 800 would be.

Not saying that Polaris is bad though...that extra weight really comes in handy when doing utility type work, such as snow plowing or towing. The Outty 800 is faster & more powerful but the sportsman is a better all around ATV IMHO.
I been reading your posts for ~3 years now, always pretty much right on. In those 3 years, I've never disagreed with your humble opinion in mind or deed. Until now.

My humble opinion is your humble opinion turned 180*...lol

Seriously, have you ridden an Outy for an hour or two on a tough trail (of course ride the Polaris on the same trail first, which has to have some steep hills). That's all I ask! Course, I'm just talking recreational riding.

You're talking work too. Not too long ago I plowed snow and ice on a big racing pond. Outdid everybody! Would have done even better with a big Sportsman, but did pretty good, talkin all-around quad.

The defense rests!....lol....try it, you might like it. If not, to each his own. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

listen fella's i did not mean to start anything over the "claimed" weights of the two machines. all i was saying is don't take specs so literally. it will change from machine to machine. once you outfit both machines with new bigger tires, accessories, bumpers and so on, the weights of the machines will be a lot closer than you think. yes the sportsman is heavier, acctually the only thing heavier than the pol in any class was the cats, that was tough to believe but there did not seem to be any large amount of skeg or mud or extra boxes on the cats, but they were about 60lbs heavier in the 500 and 600 classes.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

ok guys last thing i will say here. i just had both spec sheets from the outty 800 and standard pol 800 and there is a 118lb DRY weight difference, the special editions both come with lots of extra's so we can't be sure what they weigh. now to get these wights a little closer lets look at a few things, brp has no winch, pol has winch, about 36lbs, next BRP has 5.3gal of fuel, Pol 4.13, 1usgal weighs about 6.2 lbs, Pol has wider stock tires, a little more weight, comes with rack extentions and a few other things, lets say 50lbs total, now we are getting closer to a 70lb difference between the two machines. I never said Pol wasn't heavier guys i just said don't take things so literally when you look at spec sheets. as for the guy who said Pol was a gas gussler, how far do you think the BRP would go on 4/5th of a tank? everything is starting to even out now huh fella's. lets agree that both machines are good and it depends on the modifications and the skill of the rider which machine goes farther in the mud. keep the rubber side down

Old 03-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

I'm the guy that made the comment about the fuel economy. I stand my that comment. I don't want to get into a tit for tat contest here, but the real issue with fuel economy is how much fuel does it take to top off the tank after a ride together and I ride VERY frequently with a 800 EFI Polaris. The Polaris ALWAYS takes about half again as much fuel on the same ride as my OL. Once in awhile I also ride with a 700 EFI Polaris and the economy with it is similar to the 800. Both owners constantly whine about the lack of economy and I do point out to the 700 owner that most of the time he rides 2-up so shouldn't expect so much. On one particular ride with the 800 we calculated the MPG. The ride was over terrain ranging from graveled roads (60%) to crawling across rocky streams and steep hills (30%), to technical stuff (10%). Using the GPS his MPG was 12 and mine, 22.5. I'm not out to bash any bike, but the original question was posed by a perspective buyer interested in the differences between the two machines. Seems we've gotten a little side tracked.

Along those lines, however, his 800 is an 06, and did not the 06 have a 5.3 tank (including reserve) which is the same as the OL? Seems to me in looking at the owner's manual it was 5.3. Did they reduce the size with the '07s, or am I wrong? In any event, my only thought is 4.13 gal on a 800 machine - what were they thinking? I REALLY like the 6.5 gallon tank on my AC. About the correct size and I wish my OL had a 6.5 tank.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

If you can't afford the gas you can't buy the toy!!
Heck the trails I ride on we're lucky if we make forty miles in a day of riding, Personally I don't think gas mileage would sway me from buying one or the other, its all in how comfortable you as the rider feel on a machine, ride em all and then decide. IMO

Oh yea and how long you want to wait at the corners for your buddies on the outty's to catch up!!!!LOL

Quick Reply: outty 800 or sports 800