CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

outty 800 or sports 800

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outty 800 or sports 800

lookn at buyn a new atv(outy or sportsman) 800, what are the ups and the downs to these two? any info would help.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

The outlander has a nice soft ride and tons of power a comfortable seat and racks to stack full of supplies. The renegade rides a little harder but handles a lot more like a sport bike and also has great power but lacks in the storage department but has great ergo and good looks. I haven't rode a DS650 but with all the good stuff people on here and elsewhere always have to say about them I would say they are a great bike as well. I just couldn't live without 4wd so I had to steer clear of the sport's in my most recent purchase.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

A stock outy 800 will take a stock ds so I've been told by a guy who has done it more than once.

An outy 800 with pipe and dobeck will take a renegade start to finish. Same bike, renegade has a few more features that I'm puttin' on my outy, like the foot pegs, battery hold-down, battery right side protector.

The renegade and outy are the same bike minus about 40 pounds and different plastic, much better suspension.

If you are having a problem deciding between a ds and an outy, you are really up in the air! I would get a renegade in your situation. A winch is coming out for them soon. No racks, other ute features, but does have 4 wd viscolok, reverse, belt drive, excellent ebs, great handling, lots of fun. Just can't haul anything on it.

If you're going to use it for camping, you need an Outy.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey thax for the info, but i was dumb and said it wrong i ment the outlander or the sportsman. so if anyone has info on that, it would be great.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

bobby, that's a great big question. The popo is 165# heavier, 40cc less displacement, higher center of gravity, and it's like sitting on top of a box.

It would serve you better to go to Canam and Polaris sites, print out their specifications and get to know them. Then go ride each one. If you pick the sportsman, I will be very surprised.

It will be obvious to you that the outy is better than the sportsman from a trail riding standpoint. Then come back here, be glad to answer specific questions, also tell you what needs to be done to the Outy to make it better than canam did. Canam leaves us with two big problems that we have to dig into our pockets in order to make the Outy a serviceable quad. Everybody does it, and grumbles about it too, but nevertheless, the Outy is the best quad out there.

Need to do your homework online and at the dealers, then come back here for more info, be glad to give it to you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Pro Rider

I can just give you my impressions.

I think the seating position on the Outlander is more secure and natural feeling. For me anyway. I feel more connected with the machine.

I thought the ride was bit of a difficult comparison to explain. You have to get your butt on the seats and ride them. The Sportsman has a wonderfully comfortable seat and a great, great ride. You could ride that thing all day and it would not tire out your butt. It is comfortable in that way. It's better than the Outlander I think. However, when you add the Outlander's handling into the mix and compare that to the Sportsman's handling I think the Outlander ends up being a bit easier to ride. It handles so much better.

The Outlander is MUCH better on steep terrain the Sportsman. The Outlander has far, far better engine braking/ hill descent technology than the Sportsman. The older and down model Sportsman's have 2 wheel EBS which is dangerous on steep descents and the new 4 wheel braking system isn't all it is cracked up to be. The Outlander is superior. It's just that simple. Polaris just can't get this right yet for some reason which is a shame because the rest of the machine is quite good but riding the thing can be downright frightening in some situations.

The 4x4 system is pretty much a wash. The Outlander has the visco-lok which is less than optimal. It really needs to have an over ride feature to lock the front differential in but Can-Am either can't or won't add one. One wheel has to spin a bit for the differential to build enough pressure for the differential to lock. Some machines this appears to be quite rapid. The one I have ridden was anywhere between instantly to a quarter to a revolution of the wheel. Others it appears that the wheel must rotate several times before the pressure in the center section builds up enough to lock the differential. The once you let off the throttle the pressure in the diff drops and it unlocks and you go through this whole process again. This is really annoying if you're picking your way through a tight trail, rock or logs and the like, hence the stated desire for an override switch to keep it locked.

Polaris has their own AWD system which is quite different than Can-Am's. Suffice it to say that instead of the front differential sensing slip the whole system senses slip. Or at least that's how I understand it. It is almost instantaneous. Some people say you can't sense it but you can. I own a Polaris and I ride nearly every day and I feel it slip in and out of AWD as I climb over logs and slippery obstacles all the time. It's an annoying feeling but doesn't affect actual performance. It's ok. It does have its advantages. It's always ready to go and requires no input. I believe I prefer a conventional, selectable locker though after using it for a while. No real complaints though. Just preference.

The Outlander is certainly faster if that's your thing. More importantly though I found the Outlander more nimble in the woods and trails. I could make it do things and use the throttle and all the power to place the machine and make it almost leap right where I wanted it to be. Even when heavily loaded down with tools and bags and firewood it just jumped around where you wanted it to go. The Sportsman you drove around. You drove it around like a big comfortable Cadillac. It had good power and did everything you asked it to but it didn't leap around like the Outlander.

I liked the racks on the Outlander much better than the Polaris. I despised the racks on the Polaris.

In the end you have to throw your leg over each of them and ride them on the terrain they were intended to be operated on before you plunk down nearly ten thousand dollars on them. That is the difficult part. Trying to arrange that.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Range Rover

I am thinking of getting the Stealth Sportsman over the Outlander on the difference in price alone. They want a small fortune for one decked out. See my other post. I don't think theres enough difference to justify the price jump.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Have you rode them both? Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
bobby, that's a great big question. The popo is 165# heavier, 40cc less displacement, higher center of gravity, and it's like sitting on top of a box.

It would serve you better to go to Canam and Polaris sites, print out their specifications and get to know them. Then go ride each one. If you pick the sportsman, I will be very surprised.

It will be obvious to you that the outy is better than the sportsman from a trail riding standpoint. Then come back here, be glad to answer specific questions, also tell you what needs to be done to the Outy to make it better than canam did. Canam leaves us with two big problems that we have to dig into our pockets in order to make the Outy a serviceable quad. Everybody does it, and grumbles about it too, but nevertheless, the Outy is the best quad out there.

Need to do your homework online and at the dealers, then come back here for more info, be glad to give it to you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Bobby, ask riders of BOTH machines before you decide. as for kawiyowee, you need to get out more..... the rally we go to every year has the quad pulls after the muddy day and the quads are all washed off. the bikes are all weighed on the same scale and sand is added to the lighter machines to equal out the traction advantage of the heavier machines. i can tell you right now that my machine with a full tank and nothing in the boxes compared to the same 800BRP was only about 45lbs different. NOT the 165 you and every other guy on this forum seems to find on the web. they are both good bikes and yes the outy is a little faster but we dont buy large bore 4x4's for racing now do we? we all love the mud, save the racing for street bikes and sport quads. just my two cents

Old 03-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Has ridden Rockhouse and Bearwallow trails.

Go with the Stealth 800. I have ridden both, cost is a factor unless your loaded, Polaris 800 is close in speed ,better ride IMO, Mine is 500 EFI and the 800 Stealth would be sweet if they put black rim's on it. No question about it, IMO for the money you can't beat the 800 Sportsman, the reason Can-Am is giving 3 year warranty is to improve sales. My dealer is selling Polaris 20 to 1, with a 6 month warranty. It's more about the rider than the machine.I know I will get bashed but, we have 5 rider's with Polaris and 2 that have Outty's and we have had a damper put on our weekend's because of warranty repair's on the Outty's. Sorry for the long thread, but never have we had to quit riding because a Polaris left us sitting, I am not die-hard Polaris, just from our experience.

Quick Reply: outty 800 or sports 800