CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Street bike conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street bike conversion questions

What are you guys doing as far as the emissions on the street bike motors I was told a bunch of differant things some say you gain power by taking emisions off and some say you gain power by routing exhaust tubes above header into crank case and scavenging crank case pressure which helps on the HP also what are you guys doing with the censors for the air box and other censors on the bike ?

Thanks Travis.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

depends on what motor you are using. the busa motors have a big dumb exhaust recirculation deal on the front of the motor. I remover the entire thing and drill and tap the holes in the exhaust ports of the head with 1/16 in pipe plugs and there is only one vacuum line that runs to it from the fuel rack which I plug off. I leave all the other sensors hooked up just as they came and build an aluminum plate to neatly mount them on under the seat . the fuel injection still compensates for barometric presure and outside temp just as it did stock. there are just 2 sensors we are talking about, not a big deal

Old 03-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

Thank you for the information SST I know I have asked you this before but what size tubing are you using for the frame. I tried to find previouse post but could not locate it. I now have my motor and will be chopping the frame in a week or two as soon as I finish another project.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

Tpsycho,

Glad your ready to get started with that beast!!

I used 1" x .065 wall tubing with some well placed gusseting. I will put 20 bucks on it, you will say to yourself, if not outloud, at least 10 times, holy crap, is that a huge motor!!! LOL I know I did. It does fit nicely in there if I say so myself, in fact, WITHOUT the turbo, it actually fits quite well. Add the plenum on top, and the seat mounting has to be finessed a bit. Well, not really the seat itself, but the plenum is getting a few mods to make sure the seat does not rub. All in all, its a fairly simple change over, if you take your time.

Good luck,

Gary

Old 03-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

HOLY CRAP THAT'S BIG MOTOR [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the information the plenum is for the turbo bikes only rite ? what are the guys using for the non turbo's the k&n individual type filters.?

Old 03-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

I use .095 wall 1 inch . mine have been tested all over the country on numerous builds and do not break. dont use k&n's , are you doing a busa? if so and you got the stock air box (you need parts out of it) pm me and I will tell you exactly which filters to use and how its done.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, the plenums are for turbo bikes only.

K&N's are just fine. Im pretty sure they make a double that fits the throttle body with a nice chrome top. ( 2 needed ). Also, uni filter has some taller flexible ones that will sqeeze into place if room becomes an issue.

I dont care what you say sst, the K&N's work just fine!!

You seem to be borderline on some major complexes??????

Gary

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

I get TWICE the filter in mine that I could get with any k&n product and I also run velocity stacks and sand socks .

Old 03-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

woa, almost missed your complexes statement there Dstroyer. I have complexes? I dont butt in and answer questions that are clearly directed to someone else. I also dont claim to know what works best for filters on a naturally aspirated busa ds when I have never even built one before. have you? or are you taking credit for your buddies bike again? I think your "little 750" with the tank in the back [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] is a whole different machine. with its " tiny" motor and rear mounted tank it had tons of filter space and had different filter requirements . Im sorry if my knowledge on the subject frustrates you . If someone asks you about your specialty , " treating gingavitis at home " I promise not to but in with unqualified information because I am smart enought to realize that I dont know anytjhing about that ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

How much power does that turbo busa'd ds make? Is it a stock motor, got a spacer plate or anything in it? Man that would be a crazy ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Fathouse

Quick Reply: Street bike conversion questions