CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

water pump design is garbage!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump design is garbage!!

hope no one else has this problem, I was leaking coolant out of the weephole. I went to local dealer and got the 96 bucks in parts and picked up a manual as well. OH MY GOD. YOU HAVE TO SPLIT THE CASES IN ORDER TO CHANGE THE PUMP SHAFT. That means removing the cvt and both cylinder heads. What a garbage design. I pray that I am still under warranty so I can get it fixed and get rid of it.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry, the machine is an 06 outlander 800 xt

Old 03-07-2007, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Man, that's a downer. Hopefully you have the 36 or 42 month warranty. I think all the 06 Outys had at least 3 year warranties. '07's too if I'm not mistaken.

Don't relish the idea of your getting rid of your ride. This may be the first post I have heard that. Have you had other problems too?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Change the water-pump seal and leave the shaft alone.

I have a buddy with a YFZ and it looks to be the same. He was only able to change the seal on the water pump side but, that seems to be the one that goes most often.

Hope that works.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

water pump seal is pressed onto shaft directly behind the impeller, comes that way from factory. I have had regular problems like cv boots getting cut but I replaced all that myself. I am fortunate to have their B.E.S.T. warranty coverage until 2010. They say it will be covered on the phone, but a dealer is what really matters so we'll see. Love that machine, I was just judging from past experiences with warranties on an 06 arctic cat, and an 06 Brute force, They had the 6 month warranty and it already expired. 940 dollars in parts for the arctic cat. 860 in parts for the brute and another 1100 dollars in labor on it. Thankfully I got the best warranty I could so hopefully it is covered. I also put 27 inch outlaws on it and did a radiator relocate to the front rack. B4 everyone says that is what caused the problem, I just did the relocate and tires about 8 days ago and it has leaked coolant out of the weephole for over 2 months.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

do you mud alot? I just ask because there is a mod you can do help prevent future waterpump failure -

grit can get up the wheephole and chew the seals, this is more common than alot of people think, on a lot of bikes.
while you have it apart, drill and tap the wheephole to screw in a teeny tiny hose barb, then install a loop of vinyl tubing on the barb and zip tie it in a loop. now the integrity of the wheephole is intact and no debris can ever migrate up and around the loop to reach the seals and scar the shaft. this is a mod well worth the effort and should be factory design on ALL offroad machines!!

picture of wheephole mod on my DS http://www.flatlandersatv.com/galler...album=8&pos=13

Old 03-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I like it!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

I do alot of mudding, and I but you hit the nail on the head. That is a nice design also. I dropped the machine off today @ the dealer and they said they would have more news for me tomorrow. Hopefully it is covered under their B.E.S.T. WARRANTY.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

dealer told me that it is covered and I should be able to pick it up this weekend! THE FOUR WHEELER GODS HAVE SMILED DOWN UPON ME!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear they took care of ya, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: water pump design is garbage!!