CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

720 kit advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 720 kit advice please

Hi All, I'm looking for a bit of advice, and I know you guys are the best source ok knowledge regarding Ds's on the web.

I'm in the UK and the DS is somewhat quite a rare machine over here, although they are becoming a bit more popular now that that a few of us have converted them to street legal and are riding them on the roads.

OK now for the question,

I have recently fitted a Ron Woods exhaust, one of the first in this country, jetted the carb and added a K+N airfilter, also I have gone up to a 17 tooth front sprocket. I took it for its first ride today and it is fantastic, alot more suited to road riding than it was before but it still maintains the ability to go over the rough stuff.
Whilst as the shop I was shown some 720 kits that have been imported from th US, I cant remember who they were made by, but they are offered at a very tempting price. my question to you , is

1. is this upgrade worth it without changing the cams and valves?

2. what sort of BHP gains can I expect from this mod

3. Can anyone point me in the direction of some American sites that sell 720 kits , cams, valves and springs for the DS

Thanks in advance for your help it will be much appreciated.

I would love to have the riding locations you guys have, I'm going to book a holiday to the US sometime so I can go riding the dunes,

Cheers , Dave

Old 03-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

I currently do not have any big bore kits on my ds, but could steer you toward the direction of some of the builders. The bomb sells both pami and Hpr...You will need to get some info from the guys on how reliable and well for the best builder it depends on who you are talking to...I have heard that they are reliable, but each has their strong and weak points...You should be happy with whatever you choose and someone should chime in and give ya more info like dyno numbers and such...Welcome to the forums.

Hpresearch.net

http://www.thebomracing.com/Home.html

Old 03-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

thebomracing.com

hpresearch.net

tvipowerandsports.com

give these guys a call and they will be more than happy to answer all your questions and concerns.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dave:

Welcome to the forums!

Seeing that you are on the other side of the OCEAN - I would strongly recommend you contact Team Pami.

Why import from the US when you have Team Pami in your back-yard?

They make a 720 and a 760 (stroker).

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2007, 03:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cheers guys !!!

Thanks for the Links, I've never heard of Team Pami before, but will do a search for them.

760 eh! mmmm sounds good but does it come with any reliability issues?

edit : Just checked out the team pami website and those prices seem silly. I have been quoted 450 pounds/ 850 US$/ 600 Euro's for a 720 kit supplied and fitted that includes the head ported and polished. Looking at the team pami website though, it looks like you need some work on the oil system as well.
Will the 720 kit not work out of the box with the standard oil delivery or do I need to start fettling the oil system as well? the kit I have been offered is the piston and liner, just need a sensible price on the uprated valves and springs/camshasft.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Pro Rider

The Pami 760 is one of the most reliable builds in the industry.

They offer a "true" Pami 725 kit that comes will a cast cylinder that is just bolted right onto your bottom end.

They also offer a Hy-Tech 725 that is a little cheaper alternative that utilizes the OEM cylinder just like the 720 kit your looking at right now. The OEM cylinder is bored and fitted with a sleeve.

Pick your poison.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Do a search on Steel Sleeve. It sounds like that is the price you are getting quoted. You aren't goig to get a cast cylinder for that price.

The Hi-Tech kit is NOT a steel sleeve. I believe it is an alum. sleeve with the nick coating??? Someone ca confirm.

Yes, the 760 isn't cheap. Some would say a Steel Sleeve IS CHEAP and you get exactly what you pay for.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Do a search on Steel Sleeve. It sounds like that is the price you are getting quoted. You aren't goig to get a cast cylinder for that price.

The Hi-Tech kit is NOT a steel sleeve. I believe it is an alum. sleeve with the nick coating??? Someone ca confirm.

Yes, the 760 isn't cheap. Some would say a Steel Sleeve IS CHEAP and you get exactly what you pay for.
Duneme,

thats correct. The Hy-Tech is an aluminum sleeve with nikasil coating.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I think your getting quoted that kind of price for basically a steel sleeve kit.

No doubt about it, there are cheaper alternatives...but as Duneme has already stated...you get what you pay for.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ah right I see,

Are there any reliability issues with the steel sleeve kit? if there is then I wont bother until it actually needs to be done, which wont be for a while as its an 06 bike.

cheers for your info guys.

Quick Reply: 720 kit advice please