CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anybody have any idea for the wiring problem on my 730?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have any idea for the wiring problem on my 730?

Sad story but I took the 730 to the little sahara dunes last july and two days before we were done riding it suddenly quit on me. Earlier in the trip my starter button had stopped working so i was having to pull start it. I thought it was just a fluke so i rolled it down the mountain and tried to drop the clutch but nothing. I towed it back to camp and could not figure it out for the life of me. I finally came home to check the simplest thing ever...a FUSE! (embarassing i know..lol) so i changed the fuse and i can still pull start it but i still cant start it on my own. I bought a new starter handlebar switch setup and put it on with no luck. Does anybody have any ideas?

Old 03-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

I would make sure I have voltage going into the switch and then press the button with the wiring disconnected from the starter and check and make sure you have battery voltage to the starter and control voltage to the starter that way you know if the problem is in your starter or your switch or the wiring before or after the switch.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

If I'm reading you right, the starter fues was blown.... correct?

If so, and after replacement you still could not turn the motor over, you might want to check the Solenoid. It's a negative bias solenoid and you could have shorted the thing out. No big deal if it is... just get another solenoid from the factory.

Like TP suggested, see if you have voltage at the starter after the button is pushed. Then work backwards and see if you have voltage at the starter side of the solenoid when the button is pushed, and then before the solenoid etc. etc.

Let us know, and good luck Roost.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Awesome thanks for the replies guys! I now remember why this was the only atv forum worth using! Great people with unbiased info and no BS!

I absolutely hate wiring stuff so i have really been dragging my feet on this one for awhile but its t-minus 8 weeks until we leave so I need to kick this little gremlin in the butt!