CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Opinions on twiste throttle against thumb throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on twiste throttle against thumb throttle

Is there any benefit to each style.I tought about going to a twiste throttle.Is it bad for hill climbe?Like you fall off and give it one last twiste and you roll it.Ive never ridden a dirtbike so...opinions

Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thumb all the way for ATVs......

There is a reason only one of the top 25 ATV racers on the planet still uses a twist...... I think Chris Borich is about the only top guy in either XC or MX that is still using one ........

The body positions on an ATV make it tough to use a twist......

Old 03-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hate twist throttles for an ATV.... very awkward feeling.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

ya wheeling and hill climb is the worst thing about twist. I like em on dirtbikes but i wouldnt put one on my quad

Old 03-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

After ridding dirt bikes all my life a thumb throttle to me feels real funny and uncomfortable, so I put a twist on mine and love it, just my 2 cents.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

Love my Twist, thumb get tired to fast with thumb throttle. Grew up on dirt bikes and never have liked thumbs.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!

I use both. One my sport quads I use a twist, on my 4X4 or ranch quads I use thumb. I never got used to trying to go fast with a thumb throttle. I just like having my hand all the way around the grip. Like Cynick, Its probably due to years of dirt bike riding. For my ranch quads, I like being able to grab the grip getting on and off and not worry about giving it gas. I have never had an issue with body position using a twist throttle.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 PM
BR
Trailblazer

Twist, rode motorcycles forever, thumb just kills me after awhile. I dune, and when I do I usually lead, when I stop the guys with thumb throttles usually say
Quote " I'am glad you stopped my !!ckin thumb is killing me " and I say " get a twist" and your thumb wont hurt any more!.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheStir
I use both. One my sport quads I use a twist, on my 4X4 or ranch quads I use thumb. I never got used to trying to go fast with a thumb throttle. I just like having my hand all the way around the grip. Like Cynick, Its probably due to years of dirt bike riding. For my ranch quads, I like being able to grab the grip getting on and off and not worry about giving it gas. I have never had an issue with body position using a twist throttle.
Well said, I couldn't agree more. My wife has ridden her Pred with a thumb throttle for a short while and didn't like it, this was her 2nd bike the first was a Blaster that ended up with a 240 kit and a twist and she also would rather have the twist.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally posted by: BR
Twist, rode motorcycles forever, thumb just kills me after awhile. I dune, and when I do I usually lead, when I stop the guys with thumb throttles usually say
Quote " I'am glad you stopped my !!ckin thumb is killing me " and I say " get a twist" and your thumb wont hurt any more!.
In the dunes, a twist is probably the way to go.... likewise if you are racing flat-track or drag, a twist is great. ....

But in the tight, technical trails out here in the east, a twist, is a nightmare....... It is tough to be delicate on the gas when the trails are slamming you around, and the twist throttle is moving with your body as the machine dances all around under you.......

If I rode in the dunes, where I was wide open all the time I'd probably use a twist also .....

And as far as a sore thumb goes, there are things you can do for that..... an aftermarket lever makes a big difference, and a few hand exercises work wonders....

Quick Reply: Opinions on twiste throttle against thumb throttle