CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Stator Rewinding

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator Rewinding

This hasn't been addressed in a couple of years so maybe there is a new train of thought out there right now. Has anybody in SoCal had their stator rewound to output 400 watts or anything in that vicinity? Doesn't have to be local but with the dunes already hitting triple digits it's time to start gearing up for some night riding. Looking at 400 watts worth of lighting and then with charging and the normal functioning of the machine I don't want to task the 240 watts that they seem to operate at.
It has to be in the 400 or higher range to run the EFI and charge the two batteries and whatnot.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

Had to read that one twice Ace.... EFI???? You will have to excuse all the questions but... When did you start running the EFI and how do you like it? Is it KMS? Are you running the turbo also? How is performance compared to TM45 or Lectron?

Also, 2 batteries? Is this a typo? If not are you running two batteries?

Old 04-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default Stator Rewinding

Hang on there Doug, these questions are for the Unabomber!lol
I have a good friend who has a KMS 800 Turbo with NOS. He shuns technology and doesn't own a computer but has one of the baddest bikes around. I've tried with no luck to convert him to a computer user as it would make his life much easier, but he is resistant to the cause.
You ask about performance, I'll jsut say that it runs 115rwhp. But that is when it runs. It has more gremlins than I would ever have tolerated but we think it's narrowed down to the power consumption. Yes, he's running two PC545's and still was having some fuel pump issues last weekend down in your neck of the woods. It doesn't charge at he normal 14.25v while running.

Speaking of your neck of the woods, my son has Monday off from school and we want that Buttercup tour from someone who knows it well. Have to pick up the wife at the airport this evening so we're just heading down in the morning. You up for it???

Old 04-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

I'm actually in Denver right now, and won't be back until Monday... when I get back I have a house full of projects that need desperate attention. It's getting a little hot out for me anyway. I'll let you know if I'll be heading out again, but I kind of think I may be done until the fall. I moved up to a little place called Witch Creek up in the hills and I have some projects that need to be done. I have to fully insulate my roof, new windows and doors, and install my central AC before any serious weather hits me... 110 in the summer. I've got about 2 months until the heat is unbearable.

Good luck on the 800... thats sounds like a barrel of fun.LOL Good that you got her nailed down though.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Military Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

Wow, all these big builds, and addition of lights, GPS, and trinkets/toys but nobody has ever had their stator rewound.
Quite interesting.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer
Default Stator Rewinding

Try RickyStator.com

He should be able to rewind you stator with bigger coils.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default Stator Rewinding

Yes ricky stator dose the name say's it all and yes the 800 turbo efi is the amp monster.Once you figure out the amp thing he will like his bike.I completely tore the whole wiring harness out of mine and started over with the finest amp harnessing wire out there eliminated every thing it just did not have to have installed the most amp effiecient ing.And so on so on...BUT IT WORKS if your friend wishs he can call me and i can fill his brain process with mounds of good info that will make his turbo experiance a good one.They are workable these day's and like i said ricky stator or any motor winder in your area.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

The stator of of the BMW GS650 is wound at 400 watts , you also need a rectifier that can handle that also

Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Military Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

Originally posted by: ERBEDS650
you also need a rectifier that can handle that also
He's running the MSD system so that should handle the increase. Appreciate the answers from all so far. I'll point him towards RickyStator. AZ, I'll see if he wants to give you a hollar.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stator Rewinding

Vic,

The MSD is a CDI, a rectifier converts the A.C. current that the stator produces into D.C. It would only make sense that you would update the rectifier to handle the increase watts of a new stator.

I agree with the other suggestions, I know KMS has someone that can rewind them and Ricky Stator should be able to do it too. The BMW setup might be another good way to go depending on if the parts are available.

If the issue is the lighting has too much draw, HID lights use alot less power.

Quick Reply: Stator Rewinding