CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

something weird - ds quit running! Again!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOMETHING WEIRD!!!!

Ok, the ds has been running great the past couple of days. And was at first today! then after about 30 min. of riding, it started to backfire a little. I was actually putting it up when it did it. So i just pulled it on in. When i slowed to idle it shut off. I started it back and everything was fine.
About 15 minutes later I went back out to get on it again...IT WOULD NOT START!!! It acted as if the brand new $75 dollar batt. was dead! I proceeded to push it off,and it did. Started just fine and ran for about 10 min. Slowed to idle and it shut off again. Pushed off again, started rode for 15 more min., slowed to idle...didn't shut off this time! Sat at idle for 10 min.! (rectifier was not hot, nor was cdi...exaust was normal...hot but not glowing or anything like that.) Rode it hard for about 45 minutes after that. Pulled into the shop, turned off...turned back on and attempted to start, but to no avail! Still acted as if battery was dead. It also started backfiring again when I would let off the throttle just before I put it up.
Mods are as follows: OMR Carb Mods (drilled holes, shorter vent tubes, tubes to back of airbox, ground .02 washer, clear tube is still connected), still stock airfilter w/out lid, stock exaust, 175 main jet, 45 pilot. thats it!
My thoughts were fouled plug, or bad gas for the backfiring....original thoughts on batt. were rect. or cdi? but niether seemed hot or anything.
It has been running great up to this point. Help me out a little...i didn't have time to check my theories today, so I thought I should go ahead and ask!

THANKS PPL.

Sorry so long again!

P.S.with the tach, start/stop switch not working(electric start and lights work fine), and neutral light starting to short, also though perhaps ignition coils? just a wild guess there! maybe going to deap?

sorry about the all caps again, I keep forgeting!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Same thing is happening to me. I just bought a new battery a few weeks ago. When I go out riding it seems like it turns over slow even after I let it run for a while. mine does not backfire though. mine is also pretty much stock.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Almost sounds like the battery is not recharging.....Or possibly the grounding issue we have gone over before...

Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer

after reading some old post lastnight, it sounds a lot like the grounding issue! As far as the battery goes. I ground the powder off the subframe when i had it all apart, but I didn't run a wire to the motor as was stated to do in a post i read lastnight. so, maybe that is all it is. Could the backfiring be caused by a simple fouled plug? I will just have to check I guess. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Next time you're having the issue also try removing your gas cap. If that clears up your problem then you have a pinched fuel tank breather tube. You can access the tube by removing the tank shroud and rerouting and shortening the tube.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

I already chopped the tube! I ran it staight down the left side of the tank and down behind the CDI then down the frame beside the radiator, like it was before, now it is just about oh....3' shorter. LOL!
So, that shouldn't be the prob. Thanks though!

WHAT ABOUT VALVES? SOMEONE MENTIONED THAT TO ME.

I got to thinking (which is starting to hurt A LOT), I said in the original message that it was backfiring. Well, it wasn't a "true" backfires. It was more like sputters or powerloss....yeah, powerloss is how I would describe it. and the "backfire" type noise was like it was just restarting. don't know if that really makes a difference?!??!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

Could the backfiring be caused by a simple fouled plug? I will just have to check I guess. Thanks![/quote]

Wouldnt that mean that your running way to rich for your mods.Check your plugs and tell us what
they look like.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

This happened to me once & I took off the voltage reg. (rectifier) & it had a hole blown in the back side big as a dime ...took me forever to find.replaced ,runs perfect!Maybe u should at least take it off & look.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default something weird - ds quit running! Again!!

I am gonna go look at the plugs as soon as the kids get in the bed and I will certainly take the reg. off and have a look! I am up for any ideas! I really don't wanna pay someone else to fix it! Although I did find out that my buddy who was the lead mechanic at my local Bomb dealer, quit and is now doing mech. work on the side for less than 1/2 price.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default something weird - ds quit running! Again!!

Yeah, he might do it for 1/2 price, but we do it for free![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] We're just a bunch of nappy headed ho's around here.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: something weird - ds quit running! Again!!