CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DirtWheels Unfair Renegade 800 Shootout Article

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DirtWheels Unfair Renegade 800 Shootout Article

Has anyone read DW's May 2007 Renegade 800 test ride? DW tested against Yamaha's Grizzly 700 and the Raptor 700. The logic behind testing a 4x4 against a 700cc sport rocket confuses me.
Also four times in the article DW claims the Renegade weighs 800 pounds, (4) times in article!

Of course the renegade came in last in the shootout, DW is so bias.

If the ATV is not one of the Japanise (4), it always rates poorly.

I have emailed DW editors twice regarding this type of reporting, they never reply back.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

They prob put the raptor in there to prove to the people who say they can walk all over sport quads thats its not true...im not saying your all like that but i have seen many who claim this in handling, speed etc etc they are better. But then again DW is DW they have hated BRP from the get go.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

"According to our scales, weight numbers vary tremendously on the three machines."

They weighed them all before the test......But even if they weighed them wrong, there is no excuse for harping on the quad for feeling way too heavy.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

I have become quite disappointed in recent DW articles. It is apparent to me that Dirt Wheels has become a very slanted magazine. In the past 2+ years I have noticed how DW has become bias towards Yamaha. Yes, Yamaha designs and manufactures outstanding products. I?m not looking for a battle of words regarding Yamaha vs. the Others.

The logic behind the May 2007 ?Shootout? article is very strange. DW tested the BRP Renegade 800 against the Yamaha Grizzly 700 and the Raptor 700.
Who can guess which manufacture won; BRP, Yamaha or Yamaha?
The BRP Renegade weighs 597 pounds, the Grizzly weighs 602 pounds, and DW listed this information in the article by means of specification table. The table included all typically published numbers for each model tested.

DW had to place a spin on the weight issue. Here are some of the actual DW quotes.

?The Raptor has the lowest reading at just over 400 pounds. Yamaha 4WD Grizzly is 200 pounds heaver while the Renegade is another 200 pounds heaver weighing about 800 pounds.?

?-We tipped the Renegade on its side, bending the handle bars and brake lever. Even though it was a slow rollover, 800 pounds is likely to bend something.?

?However, going fast on an 800 pound machine is not something we recommend?

?At nearly 800 pounds full of fuel, you do not what to tip the Renegade on its side or upside down. ?We needed help from all of our test riders to get the beast back on four wheels.?

Why would DW make such a big deal of the Renegades weight when in fact it is 5 pounds lighter than the Grizzly?

Any product review DW does on Polaris is always bad, I really like my Predator 500!

Signed,
Frustrated Polaris Owner / Dirt Wheels Subscriber

Old 04-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ch701sp
I have become quite disappointed in recent DW articles. It is apparent to me that Dirt Wheels has become a very slanted magazine. In the past 2+ years I have noticed how DW has become bias towards Yamaha. Yes, Yamaha designs and manufactures outstanding products. I?m not looking for a battle of words regarding Yamaha vs. the Others.

The logic behind the May 2007 ?Shootout? article is very strange. DW tested the BRP Renegade 800 against the Yamaha Grizzly 700 and the Raptor 700.
Who can guess which manufacture won; BRP, Yamaha or Yamaha?
The BRP Renegade weighs 597 pounds, the Grizzly weighs 602 pounds, and DW listed this information in the article by means of specification table. The table included all typically published numbers for each model tested.

DW had to place a spin on the weight issue. Here are some of the actual DW quotes.

?The Raptor has the lowest reading at just over 400 pounds. Yamaha 4WD Grizzly is 200 pounds heaver while the Renegade is another 200 pounds heaver weighing about 800 pounds.?

?-We tipped the Renegade on its side, bending the handle bars and brake lever. Even though it was a slow rollover, 800 pounds is likely to bend something.?

?However, going fast on an 800 pound machine is not something we recommend?

?At nearly 800 pounds full of fuel, you do not what to tip the Renegade on its side or upside down. ?We needed help from all of our test riders to get the beast back on four wheels.?

Why would DW make such a big deal of the Renegades weight when in fact it is 5 pounds lighter than the Grizzly?

Any product review DW does on Polaris is always bad, I really like my Predator 500!

Signed,
Frustrated Polaris Owner / Dirt Wheels Subscriber
I c that this DW's thing is a big deal since this is about the 4th thread started on this just on this site... Ive said it all along dw either has something against polaris/cam-am or/and someone is putting up good bling.

If i was goin to choose a sport bike rite meow, it truely would be a 700r. It handles well, EFI, great power, and can do anything.

Its weird how they say the Renegade is heavy. I can hit a double or wheelie on a whoop, so my front end dont smash into the ground (also loose speed) and bottom the front suspension like the sport bikes.

I know a few fellas that wrote a letter to dw, hopefully they will go further in-depth suppose data, ideas, or UFO landings...lol

Old 04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
TPR
The Champ

You can also be sure that the reps at Can-Am are all over this as well. If there is misinformation out there, they will hold dirtywheels responsible for a correction.

Funny thing is, Cain Smead (sp?) is a longtime editor there and did the testing, and he was the one that several months ago wrote a glowing review on the Epic/Can-Am Baja Renegade...he even brought a quad along to compare it to....guess what it was....YFZ 450, and he said aside from the twisties, the Epic Renegade walked all over the Yamaha, espically in the drags....

Money talks!!!

TPR

Old 04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Range Rover

Why buy the magazine and support them?

Old 04-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: smoothguy
Why buy the magazine and support them?

I didnt [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

i let my subscription elapse, and chose not to review it for several reasons

1. ever since the first writeup of a bomb product...the outlander way back in 99, DW gave a shiatty review. at the time, i didn't care cause I was rockin a honda

then, I got my DS, and have seen some pretty stupid, just plain stupid comparos with the DS. for instance....the eraser V the DS650.......all they did was bag on the DS...it can't hang..........not quick enough........handles like a couch...........ANYTHING UP AGAINT THE ERASER WOULD HAVE IT'S *** HANDED TO IT....ON CHINA!!!

2. tHE sheer amount of ads in the mag has gotten WAAAAAAY outta hand. I mean pages after pages after pages of freekin BLINGPUKE< errrrrrrrrrrrrr blingstar......fox, ams,........ Less than half the mag is articles, and less than half of that is worth reading..

they'll never get my money again

DIRTWHORES