CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 won't run

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 won't run

I just bought this 2001 DS650 and installed a new Pro-Circuit pipe and took it for a ride. It was running great for about 30 minutes when it started to make a noise as if something was loose somewhere. I stopped a couple of times to try to locate the noise but couldn't find it. The quad was still running good at this point so I just kept riding when I noticed it started to misfire or hesitate. Within a couple of minutes the quad was barely running however when I stopped it was idling OK but when holding the throttle open it would hesitate or misfire. I checked a few things and nothing, started and stopped it a couple of times and couldn't find anything. I tried starting it again and this time the quad was totally dead, not even the neutral light would go on. After 45 minutes or so the quad started again and it was running fine but after 5 minutes or so started hesitating again and finally died and I couldn't get it to run again. Now the neutral light goes on but when I try starting I hear a noise from what looks like a relay near the battery but the engine doesn't ever turn. I brought it home thinking my stator must have failed but took the cover off and it looks OK. Anyone have any ideas what's going on with this thing, I?m not familiar enough with this quad but I wonder of the DCI or this relay may have gone bad.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default DS650 won't run

Have you checked out your rectifier? They have been known to go out on these, do a search on here. Did you remove any electrical like the ground to the frame or anything?

Old 04-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 won't run

If you are having troubles like this to me it sounds like your cdi has gone bad, battery problems, or jetting problems...If you hear a buzzing noise coming from the starter relay your cdi is fried, unless it is a jetting prob and if the quad isn't getting any spark...Check to make sure you have a clean ground so it doesn't happen again...Also have you checked the voltage on the battery and have you tried rejetting after you put the new pipe on and tuned the quad in...I would take the plugs and replace them and I would see how much spark you are getting...If you are getting a good amount it isn't the cdi and make sure the battery is always fully charged...It could be a mix of things, but I would rejet with the new exhuast on there if you haven't already.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default DS650 won't run

No, I haven't done any electrical work? Sorry for the dumb question but where would I find the rectifier on this quad? I know nothing about these things.

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default DS650 won't run

I thought may be the cdi also. Is there a way to check the cdi to make sure is working OK. The ground seems ok.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default DS650 won't run

The rectifier is under the air box, follow the wires back to the connectors and unplug the one that comes from the bike. At idle it should be about 11-12volts, which would rule out the stator. Does it have an aftermarket cdi? I put a procomm one on mine and it fried my rectifier, which made mine run like you are describing. I changed the rectifier and cdi and have been running strong ever since.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default DS650 won't run

I can't check voltage since the quad doesn't run at the moment but sounds like this is my problem. Which brand rectifier and cdi did you end up getting? How much did you pay for each.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default DS650 won't run

I went with a stock one, at the time I didn't know anyone else made one.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 won't run

They most likely got the stocker the rectifier is also a possibility, have you been able to try and charge up the battery and see if it is holding it's charge or can you pop start it at all.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default DS650 won't run

Looks like the battery is OK but it still won't run. Is it worth changing both the rectifier and the CDI just to make sure or replacing CDI only should take care ofthe problem?

Can any one also tell me where about should I be with the jetting. I have K&N fillter and just installed Pro-Circuit silencer only. The quad seemed to run fine while it was running so I don't think that's my problem but wonder if changing the jetting may help it even more once I resolve the electrical issue.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: DS650 won't run