CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

paddles for racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paddles for racing

I'm running the 800 renegade and have a predicament. I am running a second set of renegade rims for paddles because I couldn't find any aftermarket rims that have anywhere similar stock offset. I am ordering Aerospeed 25-10-12 8 paddle v's for it as they are the only 12" rim I could find except the goofy ITP's for the rhino's. I realize that the v design suffers in a drag to the straight paddles and the renegade could benefit from a 10 or 12 paddle tire more. I just can't find any and have no desire to have Skat trak custom design a pair for me as I will only be using them twice a year, at the event in Nebraska. If the non-molded paddles are tearing off the tires with the high weight, high torque machines them maybe my choice in paddles is not that bad with the aerospeeds as they have supports for the paddles so they can't roll over. Any other paddle options would be helpful before I order the aerospeeds. Anyone use the aerospeeds? I don't think they will be the best at any one application but may do everything ok, and work better than the stock atr's in sand.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

But you will need to cut them for yammy or honda pattern? what do you mean? can i use the stock hubs????

Old 04-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

oh i see doh took me a minute [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 PM
amd
Pro Rider

The difference in regular haulers and extreme is the extrems have reinforced blades. They are reinforced with kevlar. The regular haulers do not. The blades on the extremes are stiffer and will not fold as easily as the regular haulers do. The extremes will hold up better in what ever condition you ride in. Spend the extra money and get the extremes you will be glad you did. I would go With Jims sand toys for your skat trak needs. Rocky Mountain is good also, but you can get what ever skat trak tire you want with JIMs. With rocky mountain you are limited.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

amd...would a regular Hauler suffer in performance vs the extremes due to any paddle flex?? Just curious, because like I said before, so far my regular Haulers are holding up great!

Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

You can order the Kevlar option in any style paddle made by Skat Trak however Extremes are just thicker and have more cup or wrap at the sides to prevent fold over. Regular haulers tend to crack at their base.
Extremes were developed for bikes just like the DS, a 350lb banshee with a whippet shocks the tires a little differently than a moose on a 500lb DS.

I have a picture on my page of Sand Tire Unlimited comp cut Padla Brats. I'd be hard pressed to run anything else but it would be interesting to try swapping someone with tripple buffs. In this configuration they come in 9 paddle. If they came in 8 I'd say they would be a perfect tire.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I ran a set ot 22-11-8 triple buffs(not extremes) on Yamaha .125 wheels for all of last season which was about thirty rides and they are holding up well with no signs of paddle failure.It may be that the sand is different here(finer grained) and maybe not so hard on paddles as other places but i have always had good life from regular haulers.22-11-8 8 paddle double buff extremes would probably be a good choice for you but if you are willing to spend the extra $$$ the triple buffs on .125 wheels will get you up the hill faster.The triple buffs are much thinner and fragile than other tires but if you are after maximum performance then they are the way to go.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I've wondered why I don't hear about more problems with paddles breaking on double and tripple buffs. It could be that the carcass is able to flex more whereas on a stiff carcass the paddle might give more.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

We have found on our toy bikes which are a tad more ponies than a stock bike that the 7 paddle hauler will defeat the 8 on the hill. Reasons being!!!!

1.The ds dose not pull 4th very well on the hill the 7 will fix this you will rip 4th.
2.The hauler grows on the rpms ranger the more rigide extreme dose not grow near as good.
3.With the paddle growth the hauler maintains its paddle angle due to flexabilty.

Im not as skilled as most but i do own haulers 7=14 extremes 8-12 and rippers 10-14 so i do have some knowledge..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2007, 11:16 AM
amd
Pro Rider

Dingo2. Yes a regular hauler flexes more then an extreme. So say a 11 paddle extreme is about as equal to a 12 paddle hauler. Mystereid, I have seen paddles come off of tripple buffs, but it was on a bike making 150+ hp. Your are right about the carcasses flexing different. On a tripple buff you put more air in them to hook harder instead of letting air out like on a regular hauler. The carcasses flex more on the tripple buff. All I have ever ran is haulers or extremes and I have never had any problems with either. Then again all I do is drag race.

Quick Reply: paddles for racing