CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need help with ds 650

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with ds 650

Ok here is the story . Had a customer that had the starter clutch go out, he tried to fix it himself after prying on the fly wheel with a big screwdriver they made a makeshift puller ad forgot to remove the center nut. finally after geting the flywheel off the sprag clutch exploded all over so he decided to take it to the local dealership. also sometime they pulled the starter apart thinking that was ther problem, and put back together.
So the dealer puts in a new gear and starter clutch, and now it wont start, it ran before all of this. long story short they could not figure it out and now its in my hands.

So first things first i checked starter cluth everthing seemed good it would engage and turn the motor over. then I checked valve clearance and the intakes were .002 so i reshimed it, and the chain tensioner was seised close (no chain tension) and the cahin had a link about ready to break. cam timing was on and and we replaced tensioner and chain .
still no fire.. It has spark geting fuel and has 120lb cranking pressure. so we go to pull start it and all it does it turn the starter over , so back to the shop we go totaly confused, I call the customer and learn that the starter had been apart and the dealer told him there was no way you could put it together wrong, so long story longer the starter was tuning over backwards and dealer ship installed starter clutch backwards. so now i have the clutch and starter going the correct direction still no starty nothing even no even a pop.
still has spark comp. and fuel.
Oh and we have changed the cdi too.
My only suggestion was it could be the flywheel where they pryed on it, I had a honda that had the flywheel removed in the wrong manner and nothing apeared to be wrong with it and had spark but would not fire we changed the flywheel out and vrooom

But are delema is the ds flywheel is not exactly cheap and would hate to buy one to have it not be the problem, so if any of you have anyother suggestions or have a spare flywheel we could barrow possibly buy it would be appreciated.
would the rectifier do this( remember it has spark) Thanks Inadvanced Brindley

Old 04-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think you are looking in the right place. DO all your timing marks line up? You can't really put the flywheel back on in the wrong position but you can't put a starter together backwards either, lol.

The other thing to check is the "pick-up"..........now after you go out and look your truck over, come back in and look at the pickup in the stator housing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (just teasing you Brindley)

What gets me is, physically if you have fuel and you have spark and you have compression.............it should start regardless of the flywheel condition. The only thing I can think of that would keep it from starting under those circumstances is if the timing was way off but even then you should get an occasional pop with all the left over unburned fuel.

Did you say the plugs were new?

Old 04-27-2007, 01:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have found out personally, by accident,that the flywheel can be installed on the stator hub not in time, when I put my lightened one on my stator I put it on about 90 degrees off, bonehead move I know. When we tried to start the bike it would not start, just throw out a 2ft flame out the pipe, after some quick brainstorming my friend looks at the other stator and flywheel assembly and realized what had happened.

When we took the flywheel off we saw what we had done, make sure the pick-up and the keyway on the flywheel match up, it should fire then, just a suggestion.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cynick
I have found out personally, by accident,that the flywheel can be installed on the stator hub not in time, when I put my lightened one on my stator I put it on about 90 degrees off, bonehead move I know. When we tried to start the bike it would not start, just throw out a 2ft flame out the pipe, after some quick brainstorming my friend looks at the other stator and flywheel assembly and realized what had happened.

When we took the flywheel off we saw what we had done, make sure the pick-up and the keyway on the flywheel match up, it should fire then.

That has to be it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys they had the flywheel assembled wrong, and i didnt even think to look at it as im used to single piece flywheels ... Thanks a ton made him real happy

Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Good to hear that was all that was wrong, hope it runs good for ya.