CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS450 NO WELDS on frame or a-arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS450 NO WELDS on frame or a-arms

I'm sure you've all watched the latest video releases, but there isn't much talk on here on specifics so I figured I'd throw out a post for ***** and giggles,
If you don't know what I am talking about go to the official site and watch them, the frame video and front suspension videos are out as of this posting date and extremely intriguing to say the least.
Am I apprehensive - yes, but am I also optomistic - another big YES. Its serious time proven technology in other industries, if Bomb did their homework (and lets hope 6 years was enough time to do it) then it otta do what is advertised, and hold up. But only time will tell that....

aluminum spindles even, the entire front end is aluminum forgings - zero welds. not run of the mill castings mind you - forgings.
bringing the wheel in closer to the mounting point, for less spindle stress as well as reduced bump steer, is really awesome, regardless of what the material is all makers otta be doing this.
not to mention the frame, with zero welds....

I almost want to say that these methods of manufacture may end up being close to as monumental as the addition of the 4th wheel by Suzuki back in the 80's. oh wait a minute, lets not hold our breath on that one...let history runs its course. you never know, it may end up being a flop. but probably not, at least I hope not.

Go watchy.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yea the technology that they put into their bikes is amazing which could be why they are much more expensive, but only time will tell if they hold up...We shall see how good they do against the competition all modded when raced and see if they can compete against the others and make a name for themselves...Should be interesting and can't wait to see them in action.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

No weldz make it a lot stronger! Dont have to wait about any weak pts.

Any conz to this matter besides price?

Old 05-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

HT,

The only thing I can possibly think of as far as a negative would be bolts. It appears that those bolts that hold the frame must be single use bolts. Im assuming they arent permanent, otherwise you wouldnt be able to get the motor out. So, if they can be "undone" by a unscrewing them, wouldnt they be able to be undone by natural forces? But perhaps the enormous pressue at holding the bolts is so high, they cant become unscrewed. So, if thats the case, how would they become unscrewed by a wrench? And how does the normal "joe" mechanic put the bolts back in after the motor is put back in? It appears that there's some sort of special tool needed for "rebolting" to get the pressure needed to keep them in place.

Just throwing out thoughts here .... Its boring at work.

Marky

Old 05-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Marky, My take is that most of the frame is put together with these "bolts" which appear more like a rivet in that they are permanently pressed into a receiving cap. Some pieces of the frame have traditional bolts.
My guess is that if you were to damage a frame piece these special bolts/rivets could be cut or drilled and the damaged member replaced with new bolts using a special tool from a dealer.

I'm impressed that they seem to be making true on all their claims. Can't wait to see how they stack up against other machines.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:20 PM
TPR
The Champ

Here's the whole skinny on the frame.

The lock bolts are indeed a rivit type fastener. The machine stretches the bolt to the point where it's a bit thinner than it's relaxed O.D. There are grooves that are like threads, but when the collar is slipped over the bolt, when it's relaxed it compresses into the collar creating a mechanical bond that will not vibrate or come loose. It's a proven design and one that has been called the strongest fastener bond available.

If you need to have one removed, it's probably a dealer issue. They will cut it out and there is a tool, if you look for Huck Bolts, they have a site where they sell these lock bolts and the tool to install them. The tool looks like an impact wrench and is about $4000.

So likely you won't be replacing them yourself, and god help the moron (we have seen them) who thinks they can just use regular bolts to replace parts....that's a recipe for doom....

TPR

Old 05-23-2007, 08:21 PM
TPR
The Champ

Oh BTW Marky, the side rails are actually bolted in conventionally so motor removal is no more an issue than an extra 4 bolts to remove 1 side.

TPR

Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

TPR beat me to it. heres my 2 cents anyway. they are called "huck" bolts. cant remember what the canucks called them. they do not have threads they are just rings (not continuous) we use them to hold suspension parts to frame rails. the huck bolts we use are steel and require cutting torch to get them off. like mystereid said. you could drill these. since they are aluminum and alot smaller then the huck bolts we use. they hold up well. I have never seen one fail. I have seen everything else around these bolts cracking and breaking. but never a huck bolt. they are old technology. they will have you by the short hair if you ever have to replace them though.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

It's a very interesting machine so far. They are trying different things which can be good or bad. It will be the third most expensive quad ever built from an OEM behind a Blaze and Moto.. I'm guessing 8700. They should of offered it in an mx version al la (Moto) to really put the hurting on the class from the get go.. It's only 46" wide so if you want to go wider you will be putting on Chromoly +2 arms anyway.. For the dune/desert/mx scene this is a must have..

Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sandgod

It's a very interesting machine so far. They are trying different things which can be good or bad. It will be the third most expensive quad ever built from an OEM behind a Blaze and Moto.. I'm guessing 8700. They should of offered it in an mx version al la (Moto) to really put the hurting on the class from the get go.. It's only 46" wide so if you want to go wider you will be putting on Chromoly +2 arms anyway.. For the dune/desert/mx scene this is a must have..</end quote></div>

So if they plan on racing MX it will have to be made wider or do you think they will go after GNCC.
If it was MX or GNCC out of the box I guess I can see 8700, but for a sport quad ?
they should have made price in their top Criteria.

Quick Reply: DS450 NO WELDS on frame or a-arms