CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ds450 ..how many from the fourm going to buy one???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds450 ..how many from the fourm going to buy one???

have to wait and see how well it holds up to abuse with all the alunimum parts, long hubs....etc. I'm sure it will run great as far as the motor but the rest of it is suspect to me, but I ride extremely hard and desert racing takes a serious toll on equipment. I know it's not meant for that type of riding but neither was the YFZ450 and it is doing very well in our series as far as relaibility.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:02 PM
TPR
The Champ

Smoothguy has issues....but their his to cherish so let him mumble in the corner and self loathe.

As far as durability goes, this thing has been pounded, probably more than any 450 before it, every aspect has been beaten and on the completed bike, nothing has failed under extreme conditions.

Given that, anything can be broken by the right person and circumstance, and they never said it was indestructable, HOWEVER, you won't have to gusset a frame to MX, GNCC or Desert race. That's why they used this system because they could build a frame strong enough that would not need extra work for racing.

It will be a time will tell thing, but I have faith it will be...excuse the expression..."The Bomb" bike for the forseeable future. Also, if it ends up getting blue and red to re-think their next move...better for us.

TPR

Old 06-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I like to see what they find in bugs the first year, im sure there will be some "fix its" my son is frothing at the mouth for one of these quads, will they out run a 260TRX 2 stroke?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Oaky, just got off the phone with my dealer. He will sell it to me at cost (15% under MSRP, does that sound right?). He wants me to run the dog meat out of it and will stand behind it. He said BRP is eager to be the best and will stand behind any issues it may have... bla, bla, bla.
I will own one. My YFZ is ready for a new top end. After I do that, it will be for sale.
I notice on the tricked out 450 some Hiper rears and it looks like Douglas fronts.
I am going to the dealer expo with my dealer to ride one.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

Tpr has it been beaten on in stock form or the modded one in your pics?

Is this engine as bullet proof as the 650?

Right now im weighing in at a wopping 155 and the weight of this quad is sounding
better and better to me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Dose it really matter ? you know how much stuff the change when they run desert races. Its a whole new quad by the time they do the desert race. If the yami and hondas hold up with all the aftermarket parts they use the ds450 will do just fine.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:15 AM
TPR
The Champ

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvaddict01

Tpr has it been beaten on in stock form or the modded one in your pics?

Is this engine as bullet proof as the 650?

Right now im weighing in at a wopping 155 and the weight of this quad is sounding

better and better to me.[img][/img]</end quote></div>

The stock one has been torture tested and to my knowlege from what I have read and seen online, they state that the test riders have not damaged (note I didn't just say break or bend) any aspect of the frame or suspension.

As for the motor, it's brand new. I doubt that it will be "as reliable" so to speak as the 650 since that is a more traditional thumper motor and this is more high strung, but with the reputation Rotax has, I'd bet you get at least the same amount of hours, if not more out of the DS vs the other 450's.

Remember, this motor is purpose built for an ATV. The other 450's are altered dirt bike motors, so there is a good likely hood that it may have a longer top end life.

TPR

Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sand45

Dose it really matter ? you know how much stuff the change when they run desert races. Its a whole new quad by the time they do the desert race. If the yami and hondas hold up with all the aftermarket parts they use the ds450 will do just fine.</end quote></div>

That was my point, as TPR said "As far as durability goes, this thing has been pounded, probably more than any 450 before it, every aspect has been beaten and on the completed bike, nothing has failed under extreme conditions."

No they havent tested it hard untill they run it through a Vegas to Reno, Baja 500, or Baja 1000. They have track tested it which is what all manufactures do, thats why we have to rebuild the quads to desert race them. The frame is still suspect to me, I have yet to see a stock frame hold up to desert racing for any real length of time with out needing to be gusseted.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 PM
TPR
The Champ

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: warwgn

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sand45

Dose it really matter ? you know how much stuff the change when they run desert races. Its a whole new quad by the time they do the desert race. If the yami and hondas hold up with all the aftermarket parts they use the ds450 will do just fine.</end quote></div>

That was my point, as TPR said "As far as durability goes, this thing has been pounded, probably more than any 450 before it, every aspect has been beaten and on the completed bike, nothing has failed under extreme conditions."

No they havent tested it hard untill they run it through a Vegas to Reno, Baja 500, or Baja 1000. They have track tested it which is what all manufactures do, thats why we have to rebuild the quads to desert race them. The frame is still suspect to me, I have yet to see a stock frame hold up to desert racing for any real length of time with out needing to be gusseted.</end quote></div>

You are right there, the best possible durability test is a 500+ mile desert race where things you don't anticipate pop up all the time and yes, to this point, if you don't want a frame failure, then gussetting is a necessity. So it will be interesting when they get into people's hands for racing.

TPR

Old 06-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Warwgn, "I have yet to see a stock frame hold up to desert racing for any real length of time with out needing to be gusseted."
Where does the DS650 need to be gusseted?

Quick Reply: ds450 ..how many from the fourm going to buy one???