CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2004 Outlander 330 No Start - Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Outlander 330 No Start - Fuel Issue

I am new to this forum but I have been reading it for quite a while. I thought I would share this experience in the hopes of helping out others.

Yesterday I jumped on my Outy, set the choke, and cranked it over. It started up as usual but as I eased the choke off it stalled. I reset the choke again and restarted and the Outy ran for about 20 seconds and died. It would not restart. It acted like it was out of gas. I checked the fuel tank (it was 1/2 full) but switched it to reserve anyway. Still no start.
I pulled the spark plug and it was dry but spark was present. I noticed that the fuel line from the fuel selector switch to the fuel pump was slightly cracked and made a note that I should replace it soon. I decided to check the fuel pump and that's when I noticed the fuel line where I found the cracks earlier had very large and deep cracks at the fuel pump connection. Removing the hose identified a crack thru to the inside of the hose which caused the pump to just suck air. No leaking occured since this is a suction line and the pump sits higher than the fuel tank level.

I replaced the 1/4" fuel line with a new piece and the Outy started after a few long cranks as the pump needed to refill the hoses and the fuel bowl. It now restarts just fine.