CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

she's home.... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default she's home.... now what?

I got the little ds back on monday, but it ran like crap so i drained almost all the gas and refilled it.... sometimes it just dies and backfires like crazy, it has the exact same symptoms as my friend's dirtbike last year, when it had really old gas in it too.

And another thing, it usually doesnt start easily without half choke.... but at other times, it starts instantly-zing! braaap!

So im thinking it could either be the old gas or that the pilot jet is clogged or something and needs to be replaced....... what do you think?

ps: brp cutomer service sucks royal @$$

Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

hasnt anyone had this probelm with their outtie or ds650 when it had old gas in it (like when after winter?)

Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen gas go bad/gel up in only 3 months time.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

I've run gas over a year old no issues. I've also seen gas go bad in a couple months. Was the dirt bike gas mix... thats probably why it went bad. I would pull off the carb and clean it really well. Also on the stock carb I could never start without the choke full on. When was the last time you adjusted your valves? I would do that as well.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

why would it need a valve adjustment already? how much would it cost to have it done? i dont have the tools to do it, not even those feeler things

the dirtbike was a 4 stroke.... so no gas mix, but its the cheapest gas at the pumps (i dont even know the octane number, probly 85, maybe i should run "gold" instead of "bronze" i believe gold is 91 octane)

Old 06-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Did you ever have your first service done ie.. oil change, valve adjustment. If not I would suggest doing so. Some manufactures want you to do the first service after only 3 tanks of fuel on some machines

Old 06-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

first service they did NOT do valve adjustments.... only the gear oil change, and grease some of the moving parts, and replaced back shock bolt that i bent on a jump, i do oil changes and chain adjustments myself....

I think we might bring it to an actual dealer this time instead of just a local mechanic, and get a valve adjustment, along with cleaning the fuel system

Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

It is very important to do the first valve adjustment on schedule. The valves will seat then tighten themselves down untill you either destroy the cam or bend the valves. But dont worry, if its still running you didnt do any major harm. Just dont run it anymore. Dont even start it

Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

kk, valve adjustments are important i see..... how much does it cost? it involves a bit more work than on a standard quad, as you also have to remove the cvt cover and some other stuff

edit: will they have to replace the gearbox oil if they take off the cvt cover? will it come spilling out?

Old 06-22-2007, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

Im not that familiar with the ds line up but a valve adjustment should cost between 60-80 bucks. Not real sure about the gearbox oil. Sorry.

Quick Reply: she's home.... now what?