CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lighter Flywheels for Dunning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lighter Flywheels for Dunning?

Erbe,
I'm 215Lbs on a heavy '00 and I really think its all improvement. I have ridden Glamis, and I really can't see why they are telling you that. Usually heavy flywheels are for low torque motors, and our DSs have plenty of torque. With the build you have put together and the plans for stronger mid range cams I think you will be 100% better off with a lighter flywheel, I really can not see anything negative.

Besides, it only takes 30 minutes to try, and you already have it. Try it and report back your findings as part of your budget build.
Scott

Old 07-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had considered this mod...now I'm sold! I only know of one guy that does this that I trust...who do you guys trust with this? PM me please. Don't know if its an option but I'd like to pay a core charge up front and then do the swap...anyones input here.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ERBEDS650

Well the Shop putting my cams in stated that "big guys" need that inertia specialy in Glamis when going down long dune faces or playing in the chop, Im sure you guys have a snappy motors with a lighten flywheel in the Oregon dunes,but are any of you guys over 250LBS riding with a lightened flywheel out here in Glamis?</end quote></div>

BS - I lightened my Flywheel on my 460EX and I am at 275lbs. I agree - Lighten it now! LOL

Old 07-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Allright allright, Ill drop it off Thurday with the cam chain tensioner, geeeze you guys

Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jiminok

I had considered this mod...now I'm sold! I only know of one guy that does this that I trust...who do you guys trust with this? PM me please. Don't know if its an option but I'd like to pay a core charge up front and then do the swap...anyones input here.</end quote></div>

Here we go. . . this should stir up some disagreement! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Preacher did mine. I think he's gone for a couple weeks on a cruise???

I need to get some bushings made actually. . .

I'm sure anyone you are comfortable doing business with can do this for you.

If you don't want to send your core off first, I'd call The Bom. Preacher does this for Jeff Ross and Jeff is likely to have one available to ship. I'm sure he will want your core back though.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or just take it to a local machine shop and have them do it. I think they did mine for 30 bucks. The steel backing plate was the hardest to machine. I took it off down to the rib on the back. Then did the outer part of the flywheel down to the first rib.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well heck I might as well do it too - I'm running out of things to do to my 6-1/2 year old stock bore stock stroke trail motor that has been reliably reving 9K for hundreds upon hundreds of hours in the big dunes and in the woods carrying my big tall 260 pound behind.
I'll be giving Jeff a ring later this summer after all the DS days are over and my riding schedule calms down a bit.

Hey Nut, are those numbers real - go from 7 pounds to 4.5? That's astonishing to say the least, I never would've dreamed it.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

HT - I am 100% sure of the lightened weight. I am 95% sure i remembered the original weight correctly.

I think a new Raptor 700R flywheel is about 4.5 lbs stock. We already have a heavier crank. Why do we need that extra flywheel weight? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, I think those numbers are close.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

http://www.se-r.net/engine/light_flywheels.html

http://www.physicsnews1.com/question_15.html

http://7faq.com/owbase/ow.asp?HowDoI%2FLightenMyCar

A lightened flywheel is great for drag racing because you start acceleration in a lower gear. As you shift to a higher gear the benefits of reduction of rotational mass decreases.

Quick Reply: Lighter Flywheels for Dunning?