CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Boondocker Saftey Alert Issued

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boondocker Saftey Alert Issued

If you have a Boondocker nitrous kit stop using it IMMEDIATELY. Check the serial number on the VALVE, if it's greater than 132349 DO NOT use or refill this cylinder. IMMEDIATELY empty the cylinder and do not use or refill. Affected cylinders may burst unexpectedly causing serious injury or death. For any questions call Boondocker toll free at 1-877-522-7805

Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wondered if those thin cylinders that look suspiciously like the inner sleeve of a complete composite CF bottle would hold up without the carbon fiber layers on the outside. If a guy wanted to make the bottles lighter, perhaps he could purchase those inner sleeves by themselves and they would be a lot cheaper too, and a guy could sell them for the regular price. The only hitch would be that a person would have to find a bottle burst valve that would burst at a much lower pressure than was currently available. Don't mind me, I'm just thinking hypothetically.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the official notification.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marky, your one mischeviously funny dude!

I got my notice in the mail yesterday. Sounds as if sumptin went teribly wong!

Old 07-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Jed,

As you know, its hardly ever one thing that brings an airliner down! But it does appear that all the legal blame will be with Rehvac, the manufacturer of the bottle Burst Valve. If I had one of those, and wanted it fixed right away, I would call Boss up and see if they had any extras. However, I would double check the pressure rating to make sure its NOT higher than what boon recommends with their bottles. You'll want thinner bottles to have a burst valve that burst quicker (lower pressure) than the thicker bottles ones outfitted with higher pressure ones.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

It looks like 3K (3000 psi) is what is supposed to be on those burst valves- at least according to Boon. My three Boss valves also have stamped on them 3K. So they should be interchangeble. I recommend a little red threadlock on the threads of the burst valve if you replace it yourself. That plumbers tape tends to freeze and break off inside the valve clogging everything up including the nitrous filter.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Thanks for the alert. I have a few alum bottles with the new system and I always have them over filled. These were only on the steel bottles, But still sounds very dangerous.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Actualy marky out of 5 boss noss tanks i have.Three will not hold nitrous any more once they get hot or over filled they go poof.plain and simple poof maybe its an arizona thing to hot here???? what would you say.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Richard,

Jim has really poor quality control on his bottle valves. They were disigned after Rocky's valves, and components made in China, but the valves simply weren't very stable and had a lot of slow leaks. Of course, you get something made like that in China and you are talking a few bucks tops. If you purchase bottle valves here in the USA wholesale, you're talking about 20 bucks.

No matter what I did, I couldnt convince him to get bottle valves domestically for the ATV line. It would have saved a lot of headaches. I must have assembled over 200 of those damn valves myself, let me tell you we returned at least half of them due to bad components, and probably another 25% after they were sent out to customers.

The other thing it could be with your bottle is the burst valve. They work one time and then they are kaput. If you leave your full bottles in the trailer in the hot sun, they will release the pressure inside after it reaches 3000 psi. Thats a good thing since Boss's bottles are rated fro around 5K if I remember correctly. The burst valve just unscrew and you put another one in.

So you either got a leaky valve, or a burst valve needs to be replaced. When you fill them, can you tell where they are leaking?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Mine are all leaking @ the valve.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Boondocker Saftey Alert Issued