CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

cowboy bud-Lookin to ride the Range

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cowboy bud-Lookin to ride the Range

Does anyone know if Can-AM has extended and braced their Fenders on the 2008 Models ? A Fender extender and Fender Supports previously had to be purchased as aftermarket adders. How about stronger Struts. I was going to purchase a new 2007 Model with the above mentioned adders + an enclosed Winch because all of these items were listed as Problems by previous owners. Anybody know ??? -- I will be buying either the Can-Am or Brute force later this week

Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Range Rover

hi Cowboy.

not sure what you are referring to when you say extended and braced their fenders. Fender extenders are availible as a dealer option on the outlander they are called mud guards. you can probably see them in my ICON photo on my outlander. (i assume you are looking at the outlander, as it is really the only model that would direct compare to the BF)

as for stronger struts, I assume you mean stiffer shocks? there is an upgraded shock kit availible if you like a stiffer ride. Personally I would wait to install them as you may find you like the ride on the outlander with the stock shocks. not everyone likes the stiff ride of the upgraded shocks.

as for winch problems, I have not yet heard of anyone expressing issues with the Warn Winch that BRP puts on the XT models. mine works fine, although I have only used it a couple times.

as for buying a 2008 later this week. that may be hard to do as I think 2008's will not hit the market for another month or so at least.

if you have any other questions just ask.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply - The Fender extenders are the mud guards, Stiffiners are for brittle plastic on the fenders, and the Winch has a tendency to bury itself and become clogged with mud and rocks. These are the items posted on various forums. Thanks

Old 07-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

I have heard that the "brittle fenders" issue is confined to the cameo colour outlanders. apparently whatever treating they do to the cameo paint causes the fenderes to be quite brittle. if you are not getting cameo you probably won;t have that issue from what i have read. and from personal experience I have rubbed my fenders along some fairly tight spots, branches, rockes etc. I don;t know if it is my installed mud guards that have protected the plastic from breaking, or just that the plastic is stronger on the non cameo, but I think they are fairly tough.

I have not seen the issue with the winch being clogged so I'm no help there. but as mentioned my winch has performed well.. although I onlly have 30 hrs on the machine and have not used the winch a lot as mentioned. WARN is a reasonably good name in winches though.

Hope that helps

Old 07-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

cowboybud, I agree with the other posts. The brittle plastic you have heard of is the camo and that only when it's cold. Also, the camo flakes. On the Ltd, the color is painted on and will chip, especially under the fenders where rocks hit it.

The plastic on the yellow and red is the most resilient I have seen, the opposite of brittle. I have been over on all 4 fenders, both front ones have been pushed in about a tennis ball size on the ridges, and both popped out overnight in 20-30* weather. The plastic is probably one of the best features of the Outys, both for quality and ease of removal. For the most part, the plastic is just clipped in, not riveted. The green plastic tends to turn whitish from being scratched up a lot.

There has been no problems with my winch, used it about 15 times.

The best features of the Outys are the power, the handling, the reliability and most importantly, the grin factor. Ride the Outy, you will feel you're 'down' in it, also low center of gravity, can skid the rear on trails very easy. Then ride the BF, you'll think you're on top of a shipping crate. I was riding a BF when we ran across a guy on an Outy Max, switched rides for about 10 minutes, sold my two Kawi's and got an Outy within a month.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks -- Still Confused -- if the BF with 3 yr warranty is in the same price range as the Outy, I'll probably go with the outy which includes a limited 3 yr warranty

Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I agree with you about that. It's a big purchase, I would sure ride them both before picking on price and warranty only.

I think you're only confused cause you haven't ridden them both yet.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

Have you ridden them yet Cowboy? or did you make your decision? just curious what you ultimatly decided on?

Old 07-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have ridden them both. Liked the Outy Handling and Ride better, Liked the BF in Rough Terrain . The BF was Harder to steer. I would probably lean more toward the BF based on Price Only. A lot of the Incentives are for cheaper financing, but I am going to pay cash....Not much Incentive for that though. The new (2008) Brute Force now has a shaft drive which is another Plus. I will probably wait until the last moment to finally make up my mind. ---- Cowboy Bud

Old 07-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Just one short rejoinder - there's many more riders selling their BF's and getting Outys than the other way around. Why not skip a step?

Quick Reply: cowboy bud-Lookin to ride the Range