CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS performance problems/questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS performance problems/questions

I've got a couple of questions for you guys.

1. I ran out of gas at the farm today, no biggy. I just turned my petcock over to reserve and thought I noticed the thing running a little stronger on top end. When I got back to the barn, the only gas we had was 87 octane. I put a couple of gallons in the tank and ran up and down the dirt road a few times. Now before I ran out of gas my top speed was 66mph according to my trail-tech. With the 87 octane and the tank on reserve I got an average of about 73mph. The "seat of the pants" feeling is that it is pulling harder. I think maybe the petcock on the "on" position may not be flowing as much gas. Can this be? Would the 87 octane make any difference?

2. I mounted a UNI filter directly to the carb, but can't get the slide to stay open all the way(it flutters alot on the top-end). I've done ALL the stock carb mods, but it just doesn't run very good on top end with it like that. I would really prefer to run a carb mount, but I need a little direction on how to make it work.

I know it's a long post, but please bear with me. I could really use some help/advice with these 2 questions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

You MIGHT be tricked by the octane level. Depending on what octane you ran before, The 87 octane will brun faster and lean out the top end slightly. What this could tell us is that your main jet might be a size too rich/ and or neelde a bit rich.

Do you experiance any lean popping on deceloration?

Whats the plug color on your normal octane?

Does your motor run cool? Or does your fan come on?

Old 07-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jsimonh

I've got a couple of questions for you guys.

2. I mounted a UNI filter directly to the carb, but can't get the slide to stay open all the way(it flutters alot on the top-end). I've done ALL the stock carb mods, but it just doesn't run very good on top end with it like that. I would really prefer to run a carb mount, but I need a little direction on how to make it work.

Thanks in advance.</end quote></div>

Why do you want to run a carb mount? Have you re-jetted for the direct mount?
Did you have stock snorkle and filter on before?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

You MIGHT be tricked by the octane level. Depending on what octane you ran before, The 87 octane will brun faster and lean out the top end slightly. What this could tell us is that your main jet might be a size too rich/ and or neelde a bit rich.

Do you experiance any lean popping on deceloration?

Whats the plug color on your normal octane?

Does your motor run cool? Or does your fan come on?

I was running 91octane pump gas. No popping on deceloration at all.
Plugs looked good, actually I thought they read maybe just a hair lean.
I do run a DJ kit and it's on the 4th groove with a 195 main.
Motor runs pretty cool, I have the fan wired with a switch...so I kick it on manually every once in awhile. I have radiator shrouds and some in-line coolers, so I'm sure that helps a little.

Why do you want to run a carb mount? Have you re-jetted for the direct mount?
Did you have stock snorkle and filter on before?

The only real reason was so I could move my battery and electronics inside the airbox. I have a DJ kit and I tried multiple jets/needle positions and couldn't get it to work.
Before I went to the carb mount I was using the snorkle and K&N w/pre-filter with the airbox opened up completely(1" holes drilled throughout and no lid). I have since switched back to the snorkle setup, but would still like to use the carb mount if I can get it to act right.

Thanks for you help so far.