CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Discovery Point RV Park Oregon Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Discovery Point RV Park Oregon Dunes

Stir, I sent you a PM, regarding another subject. (don't want to hijack the thread).

Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Scott,

I see you live in NorCal so you likely know about Oceano Dunes/ Pismo Beach. I've been to Oregon Dunes and Pismo but if you want to camp right on the beach, walking distance to the water, and not be parked in a "campground" style spot, Pismo is worth the trip. Shorter than going north.

It has several miles of open camping on the beach, as close to the water as you dare, but no hookups, and depending on when you go may have lots of people. However, if you go at a low visit time you can have a huge amount of solace (for any public access place) and great riding.

There are also two campgrounds with hookups which are quite near the beach but not on the water.

The Oregon Dunes campgrounds I have visited are further from the water, camping and foot traffic access generally tends to be in general at least several hundred yards from the campground. You can get direct access to sand and riding but I can not think of many that have direct view or short access to the water (ocean). Some are close to the inland lakes but not the open ocean.

If you decide to go north, take a look at the campground just north of Coos Bay and also around Reedsport. I recollect those being close to the open ocean.

Since you have to consider non-ATV entertainment too, remember Pismo is a town that has some tourist value. Some of the Oregon Dunes camp areas are a ways from civilization, so your family has to sit around or drive to get to some amusements.

Trying to find a secluded campground ( 1/2 mile from others), walking to ocean, alternative amusements for non-riders, and full hookup amenties is going to be a bit difficult to find but I'm sure you will find and have fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been to Pismo, got some pics from my last trip in '81 in my gallery, but have heard that a lot has been closed down since then. Still an option though.

A few hundred yards from the beach is fine for us, and I didn't mean we had to be 1/2 mile from others, just that we are not used to having people an arms length away[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I think we are going to head up that way and do a little campground touring....

Thanks everyone,
Scott

Old 11-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pismo riding area has been reduced some; although there are several miles of open beach access for camping. Again, no hookups when camping right on the beach.

The Oregon Dunes area is really nice; we try to go each year but not this summer. As long as you don't need to be right on the beach then most of the camping areas will serve you fine. The Oregon State parks are great, overall nicer than Calif, and other than really peak times, no real crowds. You'll have a great time.