CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

sprag gear failure 2005

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sprag gear failure 2005

hello fellow riders

i had a problem with my ds last weekend. when i started the machine it sounded like a blender. Very rough starter noise. come to find out it destroyed the clutch sprag housing, starter and the hub.

What would cause this on a machine with less than 70 hours?
Could it be the white brothers cdi?

From what the dealer says he has never had to replace any sprag gears or anything major on any ds 650. whats up with that?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

ignition timming could be related to the failure, I haven't that a white Bros has triggered timming issues but it's a possibility. I've heard the sound before and yes it sounds terrible, was this the very first time you heard the grinding or has it happened before?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Beleive me...ITS YOUR CDI! I too had the white brothers with the exact same problem. I only WISH everyone who ever even considered buying a cheap-o CDI could read something about them first. The 150 price tag is NOT worth the couple hundred rpm rev change and possible .5 hp gain! If you are going to do it, RWR, vortex or bust!

I luckily was able to find a complete engine on ebay for about the same price the starter sprag and other parts were going to cost me (you wont beleive how much that damn starter sprag is...in the 300 area). I took the parts out and sold the motor and actually ended up making money. Do yourself a favor and throw that cdi in the trash, fix her up and put the stock cdi back on!!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for responding. Its gotten worse every time i rode it. its always seemed to have a hard time starting ever since new out of the box.

high adventure motorsports in west valley utah says they never had any major problems with the ds 650 but now it scares me do i put the old cdi back on? or is that even the problem?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Well im about 99.9% sure that is your problem, as its identical to my situation (on my old 03). Mine kept doing the "grinder/blender" starts, and sometimes the starter would keep running for a few seconds after starting. Eventually I heard rumor it could be the CDI and put th stocker back on. That move made the noise lessen a little, but the damage was already done and it was just a matter of time before the starter would rarely catch, which is when I made the move to replace the parts.

I would say yes for sure put the stock cdi back on. Like I said the wear on the sprag is already done, but hopefully you can get more life out of it this way. If its not slipping once you swap cdi's then hopefully it will last you awhile. Ask your dealer for a quote on the parts (sprag clutch, the huge main gear next to it, and whatever gaskets/washers you desire). I assume the sprag is still a high ticket item from bomb, as there was a set on ebay a couple weeks back (used) that sold for a buck fifty or so.

One thing I just thought of. Do you know your starter is in good condition? DS starters are pretty beefy, but if you want to check it simply undo the mounting bracket (two bolts I beleive?) and slide the starter motor out. Just watch it because there is a sealing O-ring on the end of the starter, just make sure it dosnt get sliced on anything. Put power to it (either the machines, or hook up a battery to it) and let it spin for a second or two. If there is no internal damage/wear issues it should sound smooth (slightly loud, but smooth, not crunchy!)

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

I have replaced it 3 years ago. I bought my atv, and when you buy a used vehicule in Quebec, you have automaticaly 1 month waranty for the good functionality. (This is the law)So they paid for it. 260 cdn bucks[img]i/expressions/brokenheart.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2007, 04:33 AM
Pro Rider

check your timing chain tensioner it will stick

Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

i have a second generation pro-com and i have never had a problem. bike is perfect. guess i rolled the dice and got lucky!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BOMBSAINT

i have a second generation pro-com and i have never had a problem. bike is perfect. guess i rolled the dice and got lucky!!!!!!!</end quote></div>

One of the few.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Haven't the Big Gun CDI boxes, in addition to the Vortex and RWR, proven to be sprag clutch safe? Anyone have this problem with the Big Gun?

Quick Reply: sprag gear failure 2005