CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

water pours out radiator but it is not hot? what is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pours out radiator but it is not hot? what is going on?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mikesbikesmalden

put 145lbs the the plug hole with pistone in every postion possible no bubbles came out the radiator at all this atv can sit three days and there is still alot of preasure in the radiator when i pop the cap off im gonna pull the motor off and apart anf go thru it.</end quote></div>

Ok, this is good.....

To make sure this is accurate did you pressurize it then turn the motor over and it still maintained 145 lbs?

Old 11-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

It has to be on the compression stroke.I reccommend that way because you said it did it when cold,so to think that it dosent have anything to do with expansion,if you check it this way and no water comes out,then of course to need to check the cooling system itself.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

yes i turned the motor over in evey postion and checked it. i just got the motor off it has a blow head gasket thanks for the help. my cost on gaskets is 48.75 not to bad

Old 11-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ron.Looks like I will need to get a lockup.Would you shoot a pm and let me know what i need to spend,with the cover. Thnx.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mike when you first got the quad with water in the oil and when you found that it had a blown head gasket , did you take the engine to a good machine shop and have the head shaved before you replaced the head gasket and pump seal's ; and most machanic's use two head gasket's after having the head shaved !

If you didn't have the head shaved before you replaced the head gasket and pump seals , this could very well be your problem ; i've seen this happen on automobile engine's like honda's , Toyota's as well as motorcycle engine's that were all Aluminum alloy ; and atv engine's as well !

When ever you have a blown head gasket , you must take the head and in this case since you removed the engine ; i would've taken the whole engine to the shop at the same time for the machining of the head !

And then if you have the same result's it could indicate a crack in the head around one of the valve seat's , i've seen this happen before ; and i would take it to another machine shop who is qualified to work on these type engine's !

A good machine shop who has the skill can repair a cranked head or any part of a aluminum alloy engine , there are new type's of aluminum welding rods now that only takes a a propane torch to use to weld all types of aluminum but they're very expensive !

Well i hope you get it fixed , and it doesn't cost you to much ; with the price of gasoline today it's hard for me to even get to go riding far for my home ; anyway good luck ! ..........

Old 11-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: maxxedouty

It has to be on the compression stroke.I reccommend that way because you said it did it when cold,so to think that it dosent have anything to do with expansion,if you check it this way and no water comes out,then of course to need to check the cooling system itself.</end quote></div>

I know, lol. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I was getting the feeling were getting punked so I thought i would throw out something impossible to see if that had also been tried, lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Didnt mean to step on your toe, I didnt read the prior post. I get an email notice and when i click on it,it loads to that spot.If i would have scrolled up i would have seen it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: maxxedouty

Didnt mean to step on your toe, I didnt read the prior post. I get an email notice and when i click on it,it loads to that spot.If i would have scrolled up i would have seen it.[img][/img]</end quote></div>
My horoscope for the day must be easy to make enemies, but hard to make friends.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

the water in the oil when i first purchased the atv was not a head gasket i htought it was but it was pump seals when i pulled the motor off the first time and pulled the head off it had no sign of anything wrong so i replaced the gaskted and it still got water in the oil i let my son ride it some and i think he go it hot and did not tell me but anwa i replaced the pump seals and the oil is clean now but it was pushing water out the top so i pulled the motor today and the gasket is blown between the piston wall and water jacket it was only getting air i nthe water system not water in oil strange i know but thats my problem im gonna take the cyclinder and head to a local machine shop monday. i own opp a atv repair shop bu this is my first bombardier i sta busy working on 70% polaris 25% yamaha really i keep track of all bikes on papers and out of 300 atvs we fixed this year 2 was honda.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

im also gonna need a new intake. the carburetor to head side got one for sale?

Quick Reply: water pours out radiator but it is not hot? what is going on?