CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Tips on removal of that blasted Sprocket Hub

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on removal of that blasted Sprocket Hub

Any tips on removing this hub? I have read you need a press. I was thinking of using a piece of flat stock steel and using an air hammer to tap it out (rotating the flat around the diameter of the hub). However the part that has me stumped is that clip that holds it in. Looks like some serious leverage is needed there. Is there a specific tool that would make the process easy?

Old 11-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I did when I pulled mine off to replace it with an aluminum one:

1st - I backed off the bearings so I could move the hub away from the clip.

2nd - I used a propane torch to put a little heat into hub so it would expand away from the axle.

3rd - I taped the hub away from the clip, pulled the clip and then taped the hub off with a dead blow hammer.

Some people have had to use a press. My DS was a 2000 with very low hours and had always been stored indoors and had only been used in the sand before I got it. I may have gotten very lucky and everything worked to my advantage in getting the hub off.

Scott

Old 11-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

OK been through this costed me bucks , and a extra axle. you need to hit a shop with a press, gotta move the hub enough to get the ring clip out then it slides off with light presure, now if you are replacing the rear hub with a alum rear hub its LONGER than the steel one and requires a dremal or a rotary grinder to remove the hubs lower inner splines at the base to match the steel hub length, it will go on with a plastic shot pen hammer with ease then.
Word of advice if you chrome the axle, TELL the chromer to chrome over the splines to the clip groove only but NOT OVER IT!
save some head ache time and dont chrome the center because you will need to grind away the chrome around the splines 1/2" below them for the hub to slide over.
Ill tell ya what I wont chrome axles anymore ill just have em polished and use a sealer, the chrome wont hold up in sand.

Hell I make ya a deal on one!!! even modded the axle ends to match the same size as a Honda/Suzuki/Yammy 20mm x 1.500 pitch 30 mm nut, when I change tires I change hubs instead of lug nuts , works well when changing tires on 6 quads

Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

I think they only make aluminum replacement hubs, so I took a chance and ordered one from BikeBandit for my 2000, it was aluminum and a perfect fit...

Old 11-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

2000 to 2002 were steel and are shorter than the 2003 on up alum ones I know I have 2 of each

Old 11-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

I should have said that though the stock ones were steel, they only make aluminum replacements. I ordered my stock replacement last year and it was aluminum, short and fit with no grinding on my 2000 DS.

I know the newer ones are longer.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm perhaps polishing it would be better. I just don't want it to develop surface rust. Anyone can recommend a place I can ship it to to polish and seal?

Old 11-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Tell him ERBE sent ya!! http://mysite.verizon.net/res1...smotorsports2/id2.html

Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

there is an aluminum hub that is a direct replacement for the old school steel one that needs no modding - HPR sold many of them, I bought one from them.
Now I don't know if it is an actual Bomb part that is the new replacement for the older models, or if it is the newer model hub and HPR modified it as needed.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hightower

there is an aluminum hub that is a direct replacement for the old school steel one that needs no modding - HPR sold many of them, I bought one from them.

Now I don't know if it is an actual Bomb part that is the new replacement for the older models, or if it is the newer model hub and HPR modified it as needed.</end quote></div>

Thats what I got as a stock part from Bikebandit last year.

Quick Reply: Tips on removal of that blasted Sprocket Hub