CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Adjusting CVT??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting CVT??

It seems that I dont have alot of bottom-end power when I take off. In the mid-range I can really feel it and it pulls like crazy. I heard that changing the springs in the CVT can give more bottom-end power. Does anyone know anything about this? Can someone point me in the right direction or shed some light on the subject?

Thanks.....

BTW I have an 2007 Can-Am Renegade 800

Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Adjusting CVT??

I don;t understand that. You might have a problem. I have xtremes 14 paddles and can spin them at will. I have the dalton clutch setup, don't really see any diff in performance other than it hits at 21k instead of 18k. The aftermarket clutch are more for rock crawling than anything else JMO.It will really help when you modify your airbox lid and get a performance air filter like a k&n and also you must definitely need to open up the exhaust end with a slipon. You can realize a performance gain of 12 hp with these simple mods. you will also need dobeck optimizer or similiar.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Adjusting CVT??

I am looking for more power out of the whole. Im a big guy 6'4, 350 lbs that extra weight is slowing my quad down.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Adjusting CVT??

For sure weight has somethibg to do with it.I'm 240lbs.but all of these 800 I have rode with and against all seem to be the same as far as speed.You cant change the gear other than the size of the back tires. Have you rode anyone elses 800 to compare?Do the mods as I listed the power you pickup in in the lower rpm range IE more torque. Maybe the clutch seup would help you because it engages at 2150 rpm insted of 1850. that would allow the engine time to build up some additional power before engageing. [Don't mean this as a pun, but the more you weight the higher the air pressure you can have in the back tires to help overcome rolling resistance.Maybe as high as ten lbs.]

Old 12-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjusting CVT??

you might check with epi because they will have a clutch kit for it more than likely. With the epi clutch kit it changes the engagement point like maxxedouty says, you gain low end torque but will lose some top end speed.

Or definetly get the pipe, filter, and optimizer for real power gains not just shifting the power from top end to low end.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Adjusting CVT??

Might want to check on this one, but i have been hearing that with the new updated programming that can-am has for the outty and renegade that you do not need the TFI (dobeck optimizer). Like i said, im not positive, but i opened my outty up and mine runs really good. I believe they said the programming runs rather lean (i think) so it compensates for opening up the air flow and adding slip ons.

Check up on it, but i opted not to add the TFI on mine after being told about the programming changes.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adjusting CVT??

It would run rich then you would add the exhaust and open up the airflow which would cause it to run lean(unless the cpu is smart enough to richen up the fuel mixtrue.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default Adjusting CVT??

yah, think thats what i mean...LOL. Sorry

Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Adjusting CVT??

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PureIntimidation

Might want to check on this one, but i have been hearing that with the new updated programming that can-am has for the outty and renegade that you do not need the TFI (dobeck optimizer). Like i said, im not positive, but i opened my outty up and mine runs really good. I believe they said the programming runs rather lean (i think) so it compensates for opening up the air flow and adding slip ons.

Check up on it, but i opted not to add the TFI on mine after being told about the programming changes.</end quote></div>

Who would I check with?? Please advise on where to start looking??....I made another post asking about dobeck but now I hope I dont need it, more money for other things...

Old 12-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Adjusting CVT??

It is well accepted that the ECM reflash about a year ago richened the fuel curve in order for the Outys to start better in cold temps.

A side benefit to that is no need for a dobeck to put extra fuel to the injectors. You could install the pipe without the dobeck and do a plug chop test to insure your bike is not running too lean. It's an easy test, you can find it with google search. Lots of owners have installed after market pipes without the optimizer, (dobeck gen III).

Quick Reply: Adjusting CVT??