CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Renegade and Outlander owners please read

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renegade and Outlander owners please read

Most will bend when you hit a tree. my friend rode into a hole doing 40 and accelerating,yeah the frame got bent,but that could be expected. he took it to an automotive body shop here local and got it pulled back out. cost 400., not bad for what he did. A couple of yrs back i ran in to a hole and bend the steering tube about 25%, but the frame was fine, no damage.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

I just read a post that said that another renny rider hit a small rock on a landing and totaled the frame. I dont really know all the horror stories like the rest of the Can Am guys do. I just wanna know the truth cause I have a buddy that has a hard on for them (for good reason) but dont want him to buy somethin that wont hold up, and he is way hard on stuff.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

I would know what is...few mph and I can tell you that I will not stop buying Canam because you bent yours. My next bike will be another DS (younger) or a Renegade 800. You look f****ing frustrated and its normal at a point but come back on earth man, some of my buddys drive their Renegade very fast and drive on many kind of terrains and the bikes are in great shape! You hit badly... Thats all!!

Sorry for you

Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I read this post, the first thing that came to mind is "That is not the first crash this frame has seen." Sure enough somebody links a post only a day or 2 old with a different crash citing damage to the front end. I now have to wonder if even that is the whole story. I am sorry about your frame, but it sounds like it was at least weakened by an earlier incident(s). Blaming Can-Am in this case doesn't make a lot of sense to me. After all, they can't possibly design something that will survive a quad on quad collision.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

To answer a few of your questions, "No" the frame was never damaged before. I only thought something was out of alignment because I never noticed the buckle behind the front differential. Don't get me wrong, I love my Renegade, but I wouldn't expect the frame to bend the way it did from a slow speed impact with a tree either. I was thinking if anything the a arms and tie rods should've bent, but they look alright. On another site, I mentioned having a friend who hit a downed tree a few years ago on my 660 Raptor, he was moving much faster and bent both upper and lower a arms back, the frame however appeared to be fine. Replacing a arms is a whole lot cheaper and easier to replace than replacing the frame. As for having the frame pulled out, I definitely wouldn't suggest that unless there was some additional welding done to reinforce where it was weakened already. If you drive a car into anything at 6-7mph, would you expect to total the frame. No of course not, that's ridiculous, and that's what I'm saying is the problem with the Renegade and Outlander. If anything the a arms should have bent which aren't very thick either and they withstood the slow speed impact. Sorry guys, I love my Renegade like the rest of you, but the frame shouldn't bend after a slow speed impact. Do I expect to hit anything and ride it away unscathed, no of course not, but I wouldn't expect the frame to bend the way it did. Can Am made that frame way to thin to save weight, if the a arms are stronger than the frame that's a problem. I'm not saying it's junk, not saying it isn't an awesome machine, or that I'd want to sell it, I'm saying the frame is not strong enough to withstand minor incidents, and anyone who buys one should have collision insurance to cover the ridiculous cost to have it repaired after minor incidents. Wish I knew that !!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JetTurtle

I would know what is...few mph and I can tell you that I will not stop buying Canam because you bent yours. My next bike will be another DS (younger) or a Renegade 800. You look f****ing frustrated and its normal at a point but come back on earth man, some of my buddys drive their Renegade very fast and drive on many kind of terrains and the bikes are in great shape! You hit badly... Thats all!!

Sorry for you</end quote></div>

Frustrated yes because of the the cost I'm probably going to have to pay instead of having to replace a couple a arms, trust me, I'm very much on earth, and it wasn't such a terrible crash that I wasn't able to keep riding afterwards. This was a pretty tight trail hence why I bumped the tree. The damage is extreme considering what happen. Seriously, do you have a clue as to how thick that spar frame is, I don't think most of you have a clue. I'd be surprised if it's as thick as a quarter. Can't imagine why I've heard from so many others who have had it happen to them too.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

So many others...... What, are they bashfull and won't post? I think you have to admitt that only those in a collision have any frame issues and that for every one that had issues, I have read posts where CanAm's have had serious rolls and crashes without any major damage. No manufacturer can make a product bulletproof.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

you must be right, guess it's normal for frames to bend before anything else in. It's only suppose to be the strongest part of the quad. I saw a guy on an artic cat slam a tree hard, it looked like he hit a wall, but the damage was limited to the rack and plastic, and I don't like arctic cats. but the only things to break were the parts of the quad that actually hit the tree. Go figure, but you know better. I never said I expect them to be bullet proof, but I'd expect the strongest component of the four wheeler to be stronger than the a arms. I think you're assuming I'm not a Can Am proponent, that's why I bought one. I want to see them improved, that's why I'm sharing what happen to mine.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Range Rover

I also agree that nothing is bulletproof, but I was riding with a Raptor 660 one day down a tight trail, we were prob doin 30-40 and he caught a tree with his right front and the only thing keepin it together was the brake line. Absolutely demolished everything and frame was fine! You guys can say what you want about his credibility but he is not the only one who has had this claim, and why would a Can Am guy rip Can Am without reason. It would get him no where! Maybe people should layoff. maybe he had a bad frame.... maybe it is really a problem. its just his experience, wait and see if it happens more. Just my feelings on it.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Look if you hit something, the damage should relate to how bad the accident is. If you hit another quad at 30mph, well I wouldn't expect much to be left, probably not even alive for that matter, but if you hit a tree under 10mph, the strongest part of the quad, namely the frame, shouldn't be junked. Of course there will be damage, but there's acceptable and unacceptable damage, and for a frame to bend like mine did, well that's why I'm pissed, because the most I should be replacing is a couple of a arms at best. Strange thing is, I still want a Can Am, I just want to know the strongest part of the quad isn't the plastic, or the a arms for that matter.

Quick Reply: Renegade and Outlander owners please read