CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Renegade and Outlander owners please read

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renegade and Outlander owners please read

After a close inspection today I found there is truth to the concern about Can Am's single spar frames bending. I'm not just referring to a dent in the bottom from rocks, I'm talking about the frame actually buckling behind the front differential after having bumped into a tree on the edge of the trail at only a few mph. Can Am Please please fix this weakness. I love my Renegade and would buy another one if I knew this was reinforced so that it would not happen again. I was on a very narrow tight trail and had just clipped a tree that was just outside of the rut I was following. I didn't think I was traveling fast enough to bend or break anything, and I definitely wouldn't have thought I hit it hard enough to bend the frame. This is absolutely ridiculous for an ATV that is used in off road tight trails, and until this problem is addressed I will no longer suggest anyone buy Renegades or Outlanders because of this. In fact I will outright tell people not to because of the cost that a consumer will have to incur to have it fixed. I haven't even found out what mine is going to cost, I'm afraid to ask.

It is absolutely necessary for information like this to get out to the public especially to those thinking about purchasing one. If enough people are aware of this problem, they will not buy Can Am ATV's and the company will be forced to correct these structural flaws. I didn't believe all the stories I heard, and now I'm seriously regretting it. </span ft><span class="FTHighlightFont">Do not buy Can Am ATV's until the company fixes this design. My incident was very minor and the frame did in fact buckle behind the front differential. </span ft>I did not hit a concrete wall at 40mph, I was traveling at fairly normal pace through a tight trail when I clipped a tree that caused the frame itself to bend. I can't stress this enough. Do not recommend to anyone to buy these until they fix the weak frames. I have heard and read about countless others who have experienced this and dismissed them assuming they happened from reckless and negligent abusive riders. There was absolutely nothing abusive about my incident and the damage caused by this relatively simple incident is simply ridiculous.

<span class="FTHighlightFont">Spread the word the folks at Can Am shouldn't sell another single ATV until this is corrected. It happened to me, it will happen to others, maybe you.</span ft>

Old 01-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Pass this information on to anyone you know who is an ATV enthusiast. This need to be addressed by Can AM!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Sorry to hear you have frame damage after colliding with a tree. Maybe some of the CanAm's come with different frames because there are many, many folks, me included, who ride hard and have not had an issue. I have not ran into a tree yet so maybe I have something to learn, but I have ran hard over many rocky trails. I have over 2500 miles so far with no issues and have read many posts of people with up to 20,000 miles with no trouble. To be honest, I have read about frames denting and bending but in every instance there was a collesion of some kind involved. Maybe your post will bring some out of the closet and we will hear more about it. Good luck on your repairs.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

I thought mine was pretty durable too, and honestly I did hit a tree, but seriously, it wasn't such an impact that you'd expect that kind of damage to occur. I clipped the tree with my right front wheel, which created a significant amount of leverage to cause stress on the spar frame, in my opinion, there isn't enough frame to absorbed the stress created from incidents like mine. All the stress from the relatively minor impact was focused on one specific area of the frame.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

I just find it kinda odd that this issue wasnt addressed already, cause from what I have heard doesnt CAN AM supposedly run these machines into the ground for years before they release them?

Old 02-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Well I dont think it's odd at all, as long as people keep buying them and assume every case of an owner with a bent frame is an extraordinary case, the average consumer wil assume it won't happen to them because they would never bump into a tree. It will happen and more likely if you ride in alot of tight trails like I do, it will happen sooner than later. If you ride out in the Southwest where all you have to dodge are rattlesnakes and shrubs, chances are you won't damage the frame. For the rest of us who actually use them in tight trails between trees, there is a very good chance that one day you might just bump into a tree, when that happens you'll wish Can Am had listened to the complaints of the consumers who spend 9k or better for an ATV who have complained about cases such as mine. I didn't believe the rumors I heard about bending frames, and now I wish I had. I once had a friend of mine who borrowed my 660 Raptor who miss judged a large down tree and he slammed it pretty hard with the right front wheel. The result, he bent both upper and lower a arms etc. which were relatively easy to replace by comparison. Even after my Renegade is repaired, then all I'm going to do is worry about hitting anything bigger than ricky racoon and damaging it again.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kas379, file a report with Consumer Product Safety Commission. They have the clout to make BRP listen. Griping here accomplishes very little.

My .02

And I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

We all know there frames are a little weak if damaged in an accident! But I find this hard to belive now after yesterday you posted about alignment after someone hit you!
http://forums.atvconnection.co...tid/6/threadid/535274

So after being ran into and smacking a tree you are going to say Can Am is junk!
I don't know if my heavy steel framed Polaris could take that abuse either.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

I think I would believe it. If he is a CAN AM rider and fan I dont think that he would be on here talking negatively about them and making this up. Most people would be lookin for an excuse as to why this happened to make "there company" look as good as possible IMO.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RickCJ7

We all know there frames are a little weak if damaged in an accident! But I find this hard to belive now after yesterday you posted about alignment after someone hit you!

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm/catid/6/threadid/535274
">http://forums.atvconnection.co...threadid/535274
</a>
So after being ran into and smacking a tree you are going to say Can Am is junk!

I don't know if my heavy steel framed Polaris could take that abuse either.</end quote></div>

When you leave out all of the details, especially something as important as your collision with another ATV, it reduces the credibility of any post you make, like you are trying to cover something up. You personally said the camber was out of wack and since there is no adjument for that, something was bent at that time. The first hit was very hard as you said so yourself. Not sure what you expect but these things are not tanks.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The impact was enough to throw myself off the seat, and the entire front bumper on his was pushed in so he hit me pretty hard. </end quote></div>

Call your insurance company, file a claim, and move on. If you think it is too weak, sell the thing.

Quick Reply: Renegade and Outlander owners please read