CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Do I have a blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008 | 02:15 PM
|
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Default Do I have a blown head gasket?

My DS ran great over the weekend with the exception of coolant spewing out of the weephole on the cap to the overflow tank during high RPM runs up the face of Sand Mtn. I'm not overheating and my plugs and oil both look good. My only conclusion is that cylinder pressure is somehow getting into my cooling system and causing it to exit the oveflow. Is there anythig else besides a blown head gasket that would cause this to happen?

Old 02-19-2008 | 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure it wasnt over full? I had that happen. Hmmm, Seems like if it was blown, it would leak water into cylinder at low rpms. Are you losing alot of coolant? How high of RPM.This made me think of raptorandy's problem on his yammy. At high rpm the water pump was over pressuring the system and causing it to push out the coolant. Im not sure what the fix was, they were talking about removing a couple of fins from the impeller. Might be the same problem, Shoot him a PM. Thats all I can think of.....

Old 02-19-2008 | 03:25 PM
|
Pro Rider

No it was not overfilled. I had to add water to the radiator over the course of the weekend (about 3-4 cups) to bring it back up to the top. I pull the hiill in 3rd gear at about 7800RPM and it spews water down the right side of the motor and onto my leg[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I am running the ODP high flow waterpump but I have had it for over a year now without this problem. It just started doing this on the last trip.

Old 02-19-2008 | 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Check your PM's

Old 02-19-2008 | 03:51 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

Wow, I'm not sure what your problem is, but when I blew my head gasket I had all sorts of water spewing out of my exhaust pipes. It was bad. So I don't think it's your head gasket but I have no idea what it would be.

Old 02-19-2008 | 04:56 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!

How do you know you were not over heating. Do you have a gauge or are you just waiting for the red light to come on?

Do you have a fan and was it turning when it pushed the coolant out ?

Old 02-19-2008 | 05:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

what was the temp there this last weekend, i have had some of that problem there with temp.

Old 02-19-2008 | 06:47 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

That's what my 720 was doing when the head gasket would blow on the timing chain side. My right boot would get coolant on it and it was coming out the overflow. Never got hot as long as I kept coolant in it. Only spewed on the hill under high r's and load.

Old 02-19-2008 | 07:47 PM
|
Pro Rider

I dont run a fan but I have an ESR temp gauge so I know its not heat related. I can let it sit and idle while the temps creep up past 220 but it does not do it. On long hill runs it will **** all over my leg while temps are only in the ~175* range.

Old 02-19-2008 | 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Thats exactly what happend both times i blew mine.....it would only do it at high rpm's at first. sounds like a head gasket to me.

Quick Reply: Do I have a blown head gasket?