CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Paddles for a ds650

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddles for a ds650

i ride the oregon dunes also, your right the geckos aren't very good for the ds. they are marginal in the wet sand. once the dry season gets here you will really dislike them you spend about as much time getting your ride unstuck, as riding. the 22's are the ticket they change everything on the ds, goes from getting stuck to going almost everywhere. when you make the switch be sure to change to heavier clutch springs.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Not debunking any of the input so far but alot of these guys are racers and use the Haulers for such. They are an awesome tire for all practical purposes and can be fine tuned for different racing conditions. Perform outstanding in the dunes also. My experience as a habitual duner is that the 22" Sand Star is far less expensive and offers fantastic hook up with the ability to break the rear end loose at will. Again, I'm not bagging on any of the input. If you're more of a duner than a hill shooter tryout the SS's.
DO the OMR stock carb mods to awaken the beast hidden inside that Rotax. Then, if it doesn't suit your hunger for power, go with the TM45 or any of the larger carbs (TM/Lectron). It's a sickness that will never be cured once it starts. Pipes, jetting, tires, gearing, carbs, cams, porting, pistons, stroking, it never ends...

Welcome to the show.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I think I would agree with you Ace when it comes to the sand that you are used to riding. I do a lot of dunning when I am in Oregon, and much less time racing at the hill. We tried the Sand Stars up there, and while they are a great tire, I even carry a set as my backups, the Hauler was way better in our wetter sand. Even our dry season, the sand is wet just below the surface all the time... And many trails almost never dry out completely. I found the haulers just ran better all around up there. But that is just my thought.

Forgot about the OMR Carb mods, very cheap and the people who have done them have loved it.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Dragon, your lucky the sand in Glamis is Dry and silty, I liked the Sand Stars also ,but there kind of heavy.
Sorry ACE I sold that last set Sand Stars, they had LT500 Rims and Dragon got that money.
Thanks Dragon for the Tires!!! Kids are gonna love em!!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i agree the edges are a great tire for riding. not that there availiable any longer but in 02 itp sold some 23 inch wheels for the ds and the side wall of the hauler was short, they were haulers so the hook up was great forward and the back would break loose for duning. still the most fun tire i have rode. the gecko is the worse tire i have rode, at least with stock tires you don't expect much so i give them the edge.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all. Lots of good info. I will be at discovery bat 2nd week of July. Looking forward to trying some of the great advice!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tell me more about the OMR carb mod. I have never heard about this??

Old 03-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Do a search for OMR Carb Mods. Lots of reading. Very simple to do, and very cheap.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Range Rover

yeah do that but look for OMR carb mods-summary or you will be reading for a very long time. OMR listed them on the very first post of the summary so you really don't have to read all the way through like I did but it does answer some questions you might have when you start. I've done most of them and now I'm running an open airbox, which before he didn't quite have figured out. Awesome thread, check it out for sure.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cynick

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: boomer8201

heard very good things about the 22" extreme haulers, that's gonna be what I get when the time comes. and this shaved hub and 8" wheel combo sounds awesome, like cynick said, less rotating mass. didn't even think of that!</end quote></div>

If you haven't done so yet try to get a 1 tooth lower front sprocket, it will also make a heap of difference. Even better if you can afford it do the 520 conversion, it will also save some weight.</end quote></div>

Sounds like a good idea. I heard rockymountain has front sprokets pretty cheap. Now I'm curious about the 520 conversion. This is the chain we're talkin about right? It's a lighter chain so there's less rotating mass correct? anything else I should know about it? like which one is the best? I've seen quite a few chain brands listed as 520.

Quick Reply: Paddles for a ds650