CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

where can i get some iridium plugs for a 06 ds

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where can i get some iridium plugs for a 06 ds

i searched the DR8EIX at ngk but it said for 2000-2004. Will it still work for the 2006 model? also what does the 2006 ds requier for the gap?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

What proof has anybody read as to why these new spark plugs are so wonderful other than advertising?

Split Fire was the big deal before, and it was provin they were not worth the money either.

(Marketing) Is all what it all comes down to.

Golf Clubs: Come-on a stick with a head on the end but every they have something new to make up for your crappy game.

I'm all for these new spark plugs if they actually do what they say, I guess my concern would be burning to hot and possibly damaging the piston?

Garman

Old 03-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

I don't have to read proof, I've experienced running proof in 5 machines so far.

Idle is smoother - even my neighbor's Banshee purrs like a kitten now on these iridiums.

Life is long.

Antifouling is great - I've been running these in my CR500 for quite some time. They don't foul half as easy as standard NGK's. There isn't anything not to like.

If they are too expensive for you, then don't buy them. I really like them and I really like my DS - but those are opinions, make up your own mind.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Sport400
That is the answer I was looking for
Garman

Old 04-15-2008, 04:12 AM
Trailblazer

Has anybody had to rejet after putting a set of iridiums in their machine? I was running dr9ea, and just put a set of dr9eix in and now it feels lean on the top end. I was running slightly rich before due to the nos. Has anybody ran these plugs on a machine running nos? I don't really feel like burning a hole in the top of my piston!! Any info would be great. Thanks

Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

No experience with nos, but glad to see you are running a colder plug. Running NOS typically recommends running a COLDER plug than normal to dissipate the additional heat.

Here is a snippet from GM on nitrous:
Ignition System
In order to ignite that potent intake charge, good aftermarket ignition systems along with reduced spark plug gaps are needed. A spec of 0.035 inches is a good number for spark plug gap. In addition, colder-heat-range spark plugs are normally necessary to dissipate heat from the plug, averting misfire and plug melting. Normally one or two heat ranges colder is sufficient. "Projected nose" plugs, which reach deep into the combustion chamber, also cause problems because heat can't leave them fast enough. And unfortunately, platinum plugs are not going to cut it either. Platinum is a poor conductor of both spark energy and heat, and this is exactly what you don't want.

Probably the most important thing to remember in terms of the ignition system is not to use too much timing advance. While it's true that when you advance timing, you make more power--until you get to the point of detonation--much less timing is needed to arrive at optimum power with nitrous use. Due to the much higher cylinder pressures generated by a more intense burn, nitrous motors need retarded ignition timing in order to delay the time of peak pressure, keeping cylinder pressures within reason and thus avoiding abnormal combustion.

By the way, running a fraction lean will not put a hole in your piston, but detonation very much can.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sport400inOH

I went down to my neighborhood Murray's Discount Auto parts Store and ordered them. DR8EIX. They are only $6.99 Each from there and take a couple of days to get in.</end quote></div>

That is a real good price $6.99. We are AUTO-VALUE I checked my price and they cost $5.89 ea.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer

GM is right on the money when it comes to nitrous aren't they. A dr9 plug is a COLDER plug. The higher the number the colder the plug.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sport400inOH

I don't have to read proof, I've experienced running proof in 5 machines so far.

Idle is smoother - even my neighbor's Banshee purrs like a kitten now on these iridiums.

Life is long.

Antifouling is great - I've been running these in my CR500 for quite some time. They don't foul half as easy as standard NGK's. There isn't anything not to like.

If they are too expensive for you, then don't buy them. I really like them and I really like my DS - but those are opinions, make up your own mind.</end quote></div>

What did you gap the plugs at or did you leave them stock gap. Also should i run a colder plug with more mods?

Old 05-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

I left the gap alone.

If you are not running a special fuel (alcohol or nitrous) or an extra high compression there shouldn't be much of a reason to run a cooler plug when it comes to Iridium. Additional typical mods shouldn't overheat the plug (which would cause detonation).

Quick Reply: where can i get some iridium plugs for a 06 ds